Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Men's jewellery

I'm currently banned from making & wearing stone-set signet rings and chunky chain bracelets; I'd probably be allowed a plain signet ring, but if I can't set it, I'm less interested.
    Cufflinks are OK.
    Heavy necklace/necklet chains I've seen worn effectively, usually the surfing/diving brigade.
    Celtic & tribal designs seem to be quite popular, as do some of the Chinese glyphs (probably best to steer clear unless a) you can paint them and b) you're sure it isn't a menu item)

Delicate isn't going to cut it; a semi-industrial look probably works better.

Now, if I only had the time to make some cufflinks for myself... Working on some mokume gane ones at the moment.

As well s cufflinks, I think there is a bit of a future (albeit a niche one) in watch chains and all the doodads that are attached to it.

[QUOTE=ps_bond;65381
    Celtic & tribal designs seem to be quite popular, as do some of the Chinese glyphs (probably best to steer clear unless a) you can paint them and b) you're sure it isn't a menu item)
    .[/QUOTE]
    aren't the celtic /ribal stuff a bit old hat now? just going by the fashion in tattoos etc...

I find cufflinks go well, thumb and chunky rings (mainly bands), seem popular as do tie pins and slides, also lapel type pins which can be pinned on jackets/caps, etc,....

Cuff links are big and I've got a few dozen of them myself. I enjoy wearing them with a smart shirt for meals out etc.

Other than that I'd say industrial / mechanical style pendants although I don't wear any myself.

Good question mind you Carole.

Nick

I love making heavy rings for men. Was talking about this to the husband. I have made him several rings over the years, all of which he has lost, so he's wondering about a bracelet or neck 'thing' of some kind. I mostly get ring requests, the occassional cufflink one, and some for heavy chain bracelets. The most recent I made I was pleased the chap went from 3.5mm wire hammered links(ohhhhh my fingers) to 2.5 (slightly less ohhhhhh!)

That's really useful feedback. The two men in my life wouldn't be seen dead in jewellery - well my son wears cufflinks occasionally.

Guys jewellery- thinking about the stuff the guys I know wear it's chunky Celtic bands, chunky silver, flames and tribal still work for a lot of people, bit Goa hippy for me. Surgical steel piercngs. Flesh tunnel/plugs, spirals and spiral based themes, neon and dayglo piercings, bars and studs. Heavy curb and snake chains. Not so much stone set stuff and not so much gold.

My husband loves unique cufflinks and also wears a silver celtic ring he bought for himself lately. He would probably love a fancy detailed & engraved pocket watch on a chain. In fact now that I'm thinking about it, it would probably be a lovely Christmas present idea for him.