Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Foredom Hammer Handpiece

sorry to dig this up from years ago but I had a similar question! I have seen some tutorials on channel setting where a hammer handpiece is used so was thinking of getting one to use for that (i can't actually channel set yet hoping to teach myself) what would the alternative be, just pushing with a pusher & burnisher as I do for flush and tube settings?

Quote Originally Posted by Unhindered View Post
    what would the alternative be, just pushing with a pusher & burnisher as I do for flush and tube settings?
    A Dremel engraver. They do the job, maybe not quite as smoothly, but at a fraction of the price.
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/d/Power-Han...remel+engraver

For most jobs you'll need a hammer bit differently shaped from the one supplied. Making your own is a ten minute job.

Hammer handpiece is not really designed for engraving/graving, you can do it, they are unwieldy as is the Dremel I would use a hand graver with a mushroom type grip
    save until you can afford something like this https://grs.com/product/004-781-syst...eluxe-package/

I wasn't wanting it for engraving I was wanting it to help with setting, although I'm not sure if there are better things out there instead

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ok I got the wrong end of the stick hammer hand piece's are great for setting especially heavy gauge metal I have a Foredom the only complaint I have is the tips are ridiculous in price so I am working on making my own (I currently have a long list of "making my own")

Quote Originally Posted by Unhindered View Post
    I was wanting it to help with setting, although I'm not sure if there are better things out there instead
    A small punch hit with a hammer is the old way of turning resistant metal over a stone.

I get the feeling there's a certain scepticism about my suggestion of the Dremel engraver as a substitute hammer handpiece. There's really no need for scepticism, unless a three figure sum is burning a hole in your pocket.

Quote Originally Posted by Aurarius View Post
    A small punch hit with a hammer is the old way of turning resistant metal over a stone.

I get the feeling there's a certain scepticism about my suggestion of the Dremel engraver as a substitute hammer handpiece. There's really no need for scepticism, unless a three figure sum is burning a hole in your pocket.
    The very large 3 figure sum has still stopped me from buying one for my Foredom Micromotor Mark. I was too tardy in taking advantage of the Woodworking closing down sale and just persevered and sweated for the OS! I've just looked at your link and it's a bit of a no brainer for me. If I was stone setting every day the the Foredom attachment would probably pay for itself or not but for occasional use this has to be worth a try
    Last edited by CJ57; 18-05-2017 at 05:30 PM.

Initially I looked at the micromotor but the handpiece for my SR is much more affordable around £100, I think I will get one just not instantly!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by CJ57 View Post
    The very large 3 figure sum has still stopped me from buying one for my Foredom Micromotor Mark. I was too tardy in taking advantage of the Woodworking closing down sale and just persevered and sweated for the OS! I've just looked at your link and it's a bit of a no brainer for me. If I was stone setting every day the the Foredom attachment would probably pay for itself or not but for occasional use this has to be worth a try
    The Dremel is noisy and vibey, Caroline, but it does what I could never do by hand with a pusher or punch. I've pushed some really heavy bezel walls (0.8 mm sterling) over using the Dremel when set on a fairly high setting (4-5). You do have to make yourself a flat ended hammer tip as the pointed carbide engraving tip supplied is of course no good for pushing bezel walls.

Peter Keep in his online courses regularly uses a Dremel for setting and does exceptionally fine work with it.

Thanks Mark that's all good to know. I'm having a break after the OS to recover so don't know how long that'll take. Anything that makes life easier is becoming much more important now