Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sunset ruby

Default Sunset ruby

So I was watching games of stone and saw these thought they looked nice, I then started looking online and found them so I thought what the hell why not 1 week later it's here! Sunset ruby, it's a really nice stone ranging from deep red up to peachy sort of orange very attractive. Anyway just thought I'd let ya all know. Shame I can't post pictures yet

Did a quick bit of googling; it's a surface diffusion process - the nonsense about rarity is nothing but marketing hype. "Heated with light elements" indeed...
    It'd be nice if there was full disclosure on them.

Yer I wasn't foiled buy the rarity. It's pretty obvious for the price I paid. If it was that rare I would of expected to pay a lot more. But still a nice looking stone in its right.

Glad to hear it A nice looking stone is a good thing, it's when it's made out to be something it's not I get ratty.

I'm getting really fed up with the TV shopping channels and their BS - buying gems is enough of a minefield without pulling the wool over peoples' eyes. "Diamonique" as another example - while yes, it is a diamond simulant, we know it better as cubic zirconia. Similarly, whacking a regional name in front of things - "Himalayan" beryl. Grr. Natural moissanite? Not in gem sizes, that's lab grown. Then there's the platings... Platinum (or even Platineve) plated - sometimes clad - silver. It's all a con.

Never mind, I'm on a hobby horse!

Haha yer i get what you mean. I was watching one the other day one channel had load of " Himalayan" beryl on there I don't know loads about this stone or beryl but I'm just guessing it's the same as any other beryl just it came from the himalayers? (excuse the spelling)

I watched a nonsense progamme on US TV a month or so ago - I think it was called gem hunters or something like that - about this guy searching for the "elusive sunset ruby"...and to cut an hours boring progamme short, he went into the jungle, bought some poor quality rough for far too much money from the locals, threw it in an oven and hey presto....the "elusive sunset ruby" appeared!!! Oh how I laughed!! He said they were extremely rare and valuable!!!

I think I might blow the dust off the Gem-A and GIA prospectuses and pick one of their courses.

Hhhhmmmm........thinking the same,....could be rather a good investment (I have a far too soft spot for coloured gemstones....)!!

Currently leaning towards Gem-A's foundation, then maybe the diploma. Distance learning rather than classroom (and there is an FGA nearby too, which could be useful).

With my Gem-A hat on ( on the board of trustees) I can thoroughly recommend the FGA course! I did both the FGA and DGA on distance learning and it was painless!