Thread: ez torch help

Default ez torch help

Hello all, perhaps a silly question here, but you're so good at not minding.

I have an EZ torch, bought from Suttons. After a few months it came round to time for a refill. I tried to order one from Suttons, but they are out of stock, and I'm in a hurry, so I managed to track down a Rothenberger 400g propane canister from Travis Perkins.

The canister looks to be exactly the same as the previous one.

So here's the thing. I screwed the EZ torch valve into the bottle, and gas is coming out of the torch nozzle without me opening the valve. I thought maybe there was just a bit of gas left in the hose, and waited for it to run out, but it didn't.

How is gas escaping from the canister when the valve is shut? My first thought would of course be that the valve doesn't fit, but it appears to, and the gas bottle is exactly the same one as I've been using previously without any problems.

I'm a bit nervous to mess around with it too much - I've got a bit of a headache now! - but I'm confused.

I know this is a tricky one without being here with me, but any thoughts? I have soldering to do!

thanks!

That sounds very odd. I use Rothenburger MAPP with my EZ and have never had anything like this happen. It sounds like the adapter isn't sealing properly. I think I'd contact Suttons and see what they have to say - I agree - this isn't one I'd want to mess around with either.

I don't know about the ez torch, but I use rothy mapp for lighting firework displays and the head of the torch which screws directly onto the mapp cylinder has a rubber sealing washer.
    Does you valve have this, and if so has it fallen out perhaps.
    edit - scrub that, just re read your post and saw that the gas is escaping from the nozzle, I assumed it was leaking from the valve / cylinder join.
    Can't see how that would happen without the on off valve on the torch being faulty.
    Last edited by trialuser; 09-05-2014 at 05:29 PM.

Thanks guys, I guess I'll contact Suttons. I don't understand what the problem is, but I can see great gushes of gas coming out of the nozzle and the flame is huge when I try to light it, so something definitely isn't right.

I'll take the torch apart and give it a clean, see if that helps.

It's not been bashed, so I don't see why the torch would be damaged in any way. I don't know if it's possible the canister is faulty? Has a faulty valve or something?

In the meantime I guess I'll have to go back to my diddy hand torch and hope it has enough power.

Sally, if gas is coming out of the nozzle of the torch, and continuing to come out of it, then both the valve at the tank and the valve on the torch head must be letting by. Just to eliminate a few obvious things, are you certain that the valves are fully shut? On my EZ they need turning off very firmly to ensure they really are turned off. The soapy water test will tell you. Also, have you done a soapy water test to eliminate the possibility of a secondary leak at the connection between the valve that goes on to the tank and the tank itself? Eliminating the possibility of a leak here would tell you for sure that the valves are the problem, and the only problem, as George suggests.
    Last edited by Aurarius; 10-05-2014 at 01:57 PM.