Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Help; my solder won't flow

I got my solder to melt!
    I tried the suggestions of attempting to melt some solder on some off cuts in another room and it worked!
    I then went back to my work station and tried (exact same way) and it didn't melt. On closing the blind on the window I'm working right next to, it melted!
    So I'm thinking that the window is the problem. I'm still having some trouble when the ring is suspended in a third arm, but maybe if I move my work station this could fix the problem.
    Thanks so much for your help everyone.

Well done! It's always better to solder and anneal in a darkened area - you can see the colour of the metal and the flame clearly. The 3rd hand will be sucking heat, but if that torch is what I've assumed it won't have too much trouble.

Hi TV,

I still worry that you are struggling so. From what you say the fault is that you are not getting enough heat. I'm not familiar with the various torch set ups, but if your torch is any good you should be worrying about melting your ring, not about getting solder to flow.

You either need a bigger burner, or more pressure, or a different fuel. I only ever use a plumber's hand held torch with a butane/propane mix and I reckon I could solder in an igloo. Dennis.

My workshop has a huge window which is south facing and soldering in summer is really tricky because its hard to see the flame. I tend to jimmy up various light sheilds if I can't wait til evening. Its not ideal though.

One of the books I have around suggests a biscuit tin lined with either firebrick or solder board for shade.