Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Foredom Quick Release AGAIN

Default Foredom Quick Release AGAIN

Someone mentioned about having a Foredom Quick release handset (not sure if its on this forum though) slipping when using pressure, and someone said if you follow the instructions on the Foredom website you can tighten it yourself. So as I have been having problems with it for a long time, you can pull out the burr quite easily, I decided to "have a go" at tightening it. The instructions as far as I understand says " undo the black tip and take out the felt washer, get the allen key and put it in the end, half a turn anti clockwise and then get a pair of pliers and tighten the nib end. Well there is only the shaft and the "nib" is less than quarter of an inch long, anyway I couldnt move it either way. Has anyone had this problem or knows how to fix it. There isnt really anywhere I can take it down here, miles from anywhere.

If you really get stuck Pat, I'm sure Milnes Bros will deal with it, but phone or email them first. regards, Dennis:

http://www.milnesbros.com/page3.htm

I'll have a look at mine this evening and see how I did it last time and let you know

I've checked mine - assuming yours is the same model, turn the quick release lever to the right angle position to the handpiece as though you were changing a bit, unscrew the black tip and remove felt washer. Then don't use pliers, just try twisting the nib clockwise and anti clockwise with your fingers - you'll see that this makes the 'hole' in the nib increase or decrease in size. Tighten it with your fingers until you're happy with the fit (using a standard diameter shank to test the tightness). Return quick release lever to locked position, replace felt washer and black tip. Figure 6 onwards on instructions.

Just had another go at it and it isnt moving. The silver bit moves but the jaws dont move at all.

It is quite stiff at first (puts a bit of a dent in my finger tips) - is there anything you can use to keep the silver bit still while you try to turn the jaws? If this still doesn't work sounds like its pretty wedged in there :-/

My understanding is that you can use pliers to hold the shank and use the allen key inserted into the nib to adjust the grip once you have the lever in the correct position and black tip and felt removed, as already stated).....as I've just said in another thread, my original allen key was duff, just slipped around and adjusted nothing (other than my level of frustration and feeling of incompetence)!!

I didn't have to use an allen key to adjust the tension in the collet with mine just now and its been working fine for the last 18 months :-/

To be honest I don't actually know which handpiece Pat has - I assumed the H20 but the instructions for the H20 don't say anything about using pliers to adjust the nib end, just says to turn the collet clockwise and counterclockwise to tighten or loosen the collet tension and then tighten the collet lock screw with the allen.

It could well be that there was a dodgy batch and Pat ( and you and others) were unlucky
    Last edited by Myosotis; 21-11-2013 at 11:16 PM.

Yes its the H20, the instructions were on the website, didnt come with the handpiece. I also have the handpiece with the chuck, they sent it to me free of charge when I complained that the handpiece was slipping, but its time consuming to keep altering it, the quick release is well, quicker.

Default Instructions for Foredom H20

Here are the instructions snipped from the original sheet posted by Peter. I hope you can print them in a large enough size to read easily. If nothing is happening, then the possibilities are:

1. The pliers are not gripping. Or

2. The allen key is worn, or the wrong size, because you should feel that something is turning. That said, what the allen key does, is to lock the collet after it has been adjusted to its best position. The best position is when a burr will go in a little tightly, but still comfortably, with the lever open.

3. Or it could be that the collet or the lock screw are faulty, in which case you need to replace them, but this is hardly likely with a newish handpiece.. Dennis.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Adjutment of foredeom H20.jpg  
    Last edited by Dennis; 22-11-2013 at 06:29 AM.