Thread: Forming tiaras

Default Forming tiaras

Yet another probable-idiot question. I need somethimg to form tiaras on (apart from my own strangley large Bavarian-style head inherited from my giant-headed grandfather).
    Any tips please kind folk?

Hi Lyndia, when I have needed something to shape items on like the size of a tiara, I have used the skills of a local woodturner to turn me a hard wood shape. I am sure if you just Google woodturners in your area you will find someone who will turn you a shape. If you do go down this method ask the turner to fit a large central steel stem into the base of the shape, my woodturner uses large diameter steel coach bolts for this purpose, this allows you to grip the shape in a vice if you wish.

James

I formed one around a small paint tin filled with cement once - worked fine!

You can get mannequin heads on e-bay

Do you need to hammer them Lydia? If not, an upturned flower pot, saucepan or Pyrex bowl could do, taped to the bench with masking tape. Dennis.

thanks all, I thought there was some mysterious bit of kit I didn't know about! There's a chap who makes oak furniture in one of the workshops nearby, so will def. give him a shout if they prove to be a regular 'thing'.