Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Hello I expect you might know me!

Hi Stephen and welcome from me too!!

Hi Stephen,

Polishing is often the bane of my jewellery life, so expect a million questions!

Welcome to the forum

Hi Stephen,
    maybe we will meet in May during your 2 day workshop...I am currently on the waiting list.

Les
    Poor old Les

Hi Stephen

Welcome to the forum. Good to see you on here too. Polishing is always the bit that lets me down so any tips would be appreciated. One day I will get on your course.....

Sonia
    x
    xx

Hi Stephen, welcome!
    I am new to silver clay and silver smithing.
    I had a question about tumbling my silver clay pieces to polish them. I tried a piece in the tumbler for half an hour the other day but when I took it out to check on it, the finish wasn't as good as I had already achieved. There seemed to be lots of tiny marks in the surface from the steel shot, that weren't there before.
    Any tips?
    I had already sanded it with fine wet and dry then used a polishing pad before it went in and it was nice and shiny.
    Is this method best for silver clay pieces?

Hi LWF, I'm not Stephen, but then an endless procession of new members introduce themselves, with not a peep out of them thereafter.

Anyhow, you've partly answered your question: in order to reach intricate recesses, mixed shot contains sharp needles and these make pinpricks, which are particularly visible on flat surfaces. You can leave out the needles, or painstakingly pick them out again, but then the depths of fine detail will remain unpolished.

As you have a polishing motor, you might have more success with radial disks taken through the grades. Cooksons have a good offer on these here http://www.cooksongold.com/category_...y=radial+disks.

Regards, Dennis.

Hi Dennis, Ah, thanks very much for the advice!
    I think the hand polished finish I'm getting on my silver clay pieces is good at the moment so I'll maybe just do it without the tumbler.
    I am a bit confused what I have bought the tumbler for now though ha ha
    Thanks for the link, will take a look!

Am I right in thinking you meant I can attach the radial disks to my tumbler motor? If so, how?
    Thanks
    Amy

Quote Originally Posted by Littlewhitefeathers View Post
    I am a bit confused what I have bought the tumbler for
    Well Amy, tumblers are very good for links and chains, and any pieces with very deep recesses which can't be polished in any other way. They are also great for textured surfaces, because they don't remove any metal. If a few flat surfaces then have to be re-finished with abrasive papers, or MicroMesh cloths, that is still worthwhile.

As for the radial disks, you can see from the link that they are mounted for use on standard screw up mandrels. I have used the term motor to mean a Dreml, a flex shaft, or a micro motor. You will certainly need one of these if you intend to go on making jewellery. regards, Dennis.
    Last edited by Dennis; 26-05-2014 at 06:29 PM.

did we scare the guru off, then?