Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Lego ring

Default Lego ring

I've been asked to make a signet-type ring like a lego brick. I thought I could make it in wax until the customer said he wanted to be able to affix a normal lego brick to it. Now I'm thinking it's probably impossible to gauge the shrinkage. I'll probably say no, because I think it would cause me too much stress and I haven't really got time but I thought I'd see what you guys think.

I've seen silver lego bricks made by delft casting - perhaps this might be an option to make a 2x2 base that could be incorporated into a ring?

How about just making a square topped signet ring and then solder four tubes or rods onto the top surface so that a Leggo block can fit on. If you used four tubes, you could always set four round stones in them as a design addition.

James

Those are both really good ideas. I like the idea of delft clay casting as no matter how meticulously I solder the tubes on, a millimetre out and it won't work.. I could always make the ring in milliput and glue on the lego brick for casting. I also like the idea of setting stones into them but I think that may be for another day. Thanks both.

Loving that idea James...

Quote Originally Posted by Goldsmith View Post
    How about just making a square topped signet ring and then solder four tubes or rods onto the top surface so that a Leggo block can fit on. If you used four tubes, you could always set four round stones in them as a design addition.

James
    Poor old Les

How about taking a lego brick and giving it a coat of spray paint to make it ever so slightly larger (you may need to mask off the tops of the nubs (can't remember the correct term for them) as they have the lego logo in very light relief on them), then cast that by what ever means you prefer. Finish and polish the ring and hopefully it will be still slightly too big. You can then fettle down the nubs with an emery board to get the right "clutch power" and give a final polish. Be aware that the tolerance on Lego parts are just 2 micrometers to allow them to work perfectly so fettle with care.

Carole, I think I'm right that if you make it in milliput, it will need a cold mould (which will cost more)??

I was thinking about making it in Milliput and then delft clay casting. If I had a mould made it would shrink and not fit the lego.

Just wondering if this ever came to be? Have just been asked for a similar item and wondeting if tube would do it!