Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Lego ring

No I never did it Lydia. It would be cool though.

CAD & 3d print

Hi Carole,

I'd simply take a genuine plastic lego brick and cast it from that in delft clay. For future instances, and with peculiar commissions, I've got a 3D printer that I output models from for casting which are normally too tricky or time consuming to model from wax if ever you need any help.

Cheers,

Nick

Veering wildly OT, what have you got?

Bought a mid-range machine a couple of weeks ago while it was on offer @ £200 cheaper than usual. Dremel Idea builder.

Wasn't over enthusiastic about the brand when I first saw it, but after watching and reading umpteen reviews and finding out it was based on a Flashforge machine, I took the plunge.

I'm not outputting anything wildly complicated, but using Rhino and refinding the models a touch they're working out fantastic. Highly recommended.

Nick

Ah, FDM. It's the resolution from SLA printers I find more useful in the jewellery scale.

Agreed. However I'm only outputting reasonably simple models and the quality is surpisingly good. Only needs minimal sanding etc.

When cutting out wax models by hand, especially with designs where symmetry is crucial, the accuracy from the printer is a lifesaver.

Only wanted to spend £1000 or less as my first dip into the tech, so the DIB was a steal. Did buy a Makerbot last year but the build quality was poor and it broke down within a fortnight so was returned for a refund and that came in at £1200+

Nick

I made two versions of Lego compatible at the time, just by hand, but Lego were so unhelpful and just sent lots of warnings, that I chickened out of posting them here.

However, a short piece of 5.0mm wire or tubing is all that's needed to mount Lego pieces on a ring. Dennis.

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis View Post
    I made two versions of Lego compatible at the time, just by hand, but Lego were so unhelpful and just sent lots of warnings, that I chickened out of posting them here.

However, a short piece of 5.0mm wire or tubing is all that's needed to mount Lego pieces on a ring. Dennis.
    That's interesting Dennis. I'd love to see them. Surely as long as you don't sell them, it's OK?

Thank you folks - Dennis that's great news - if you do have any pictures of any such that could be emailed, I would love to see. I am lydia@niziblian.com - much appreciated tips!