Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Two rings....

Tell her to stick to landscapes they are a lot safer.

ohhh my mum uses 'that's different'. If I hear that about anything, I know it's gone down like a lead balloon ;-)

thats a good answer, I must remember that one.

Quote Originally Posted by Gemsetterchris View Post
    Traditional does suit the design, newer methods can look abit clinical.
    I might have been tempted to millgrain it..

Having learnt both methods, sometimes trying to combine them works well.
    Thanks for the lesson in tact.

Might dig out Wykoff tonight for a pre-bedtime read with my friday beer.

I've been away a couple of nights, so only just reading this,.....I hadn't taken umbrage at your thoughts Chris!! I live with Mr straight-speaking and I love him for it (MOST of the time)!! Constructive and honest is always helpful,.....;D

There was a bit of a debate on millgraining, the decision was not for 2 reasons.....firstly I preferred the bright cut edge around the settings (felt it was more modern) and the 'dead' metal breaking up the red/white/blue,...... secondly the shoulders would have got in the way of milgraining around the diamonds...

Believe me there was sooo much debate around this in the workshop & with my Master jeweller......been quite fun!!

(off to read the rest of this thread....)
    Last edited by Tabby66; 13-04-2014 at 07:45 PM.

You live with Mr Straight do you, well so do I, no grey in his life I am afraid its either black or white. I wouldnt change him for the world though, it is so nice to have a guy that I can trust completely.

I'll keep thoughts locked up in future unless requested
    I tend to note details beyond acceptable standards as a way of bettering myself...I guess that's only useful if you really want to push to the next level...
    I guess every area of doing a job could be dissected & jumped on, there is that level of expertise hiding in here..just being tactful.

Going the extra mile is mostly for personal satisfaction, the general public don't generally notice..some manufacturers notice but don't require it..some people do..

Sent from my HTC Desire S using Tapatalk 2

Please don't!

I tend to note details beyond acceptable standards as a way of bettering myself...I guess that's only useful if you really want to push to the next level...
    I guess every area of doing a job could be dissected & jumped on, there is that level of expertise hiding in here..just being tactful.

Going the extra mile is mostly for personal satisfaction, the general public don't generally notice..some manufacturers notice but don't require it..some people do..
    I usually know every imperfection I've caused, but it's seen at 30x mag. As you've said before, it's knowing where the boundary is between "good enough for delivery" and "showing off now (in my own time)".

Don't you dare!!!!

How else do you think I am going to keep learning??!! Setting may not be my area of expertise and I have the same OCD factor in other aspects of my jewellery making, fractions of millimetres DO matter!! But I would still like to hear your views and to draw my eye to areas that could be improved or that I should be looking at ;D

Thanks Chris

Tabby x