Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Two rings....

Perhaps its the English way to be a bit more reserved, instead of saying thats sh... do it again, all that needs to be said is "you may be able to do better next time why dont you have another try" gets the message over without hurting anyone or knocking their confidence.

Constructive criticism is a good thing for everyone when it's put over in the right words, I don't approve of the talking down to a person either, otherwise it does become the opposite and can seriously knock a person back, but what I don't like to see is people knocking others work when their work is just as ..... lets say .... nice :-)
    If there is lets say scratches, why not just say, a 1600 sanding paper will help with those final scratch's lol, it's constructive, without a bite :-)
    Self teaching with the memory span of a gold fish

Exactly what I was trying to say. When I was a kid I used to love drawing and when I got to an adult, had a go a water colours, but my dad was constantly criticising my work so in the end I stopped painting,(he was very very good at both oils and water colours). I had another try at it after he died but could always hear my fathers voice in my head telling me that this wasnt right or that wasnt right, although my ex thought it was good it didnt help. Saying that though if I had enjoyed water colour painting I probably wouldnt have got into jewellery making and I love it, much more forgiving than water colour painting, and i get to design what I make.

It's very difficult. My sister (who I know will never see this forum - well I hope not anyway!) took up oil painting and although her work is technically OK, it just lacks the wow factor. My other sisters all gush over her paintings but I just can't bring myself to. She wonders why they don't sell in exhibitions - should I tell her?

No Carole, keep stum.

If its a hobby, just keep quiet - if she relies on it for income, thats a different story.

No, it's just a hobby, so I won't deflate her bubble. I think she secretly knows that they're not great. She did a pencil portrait of me when I was young and the eyes are all out of proportion. I've had to put it on the wall and it gives me the heeby jeebies every time I catch sight of it!

That's hilarious Carole, but it's also nice that you're good enough to hang it on your wall regardless. If it's just a hobby then as others have said its the sentiment that's the important part.

Nick

It's an awful feeling isn't it Pat when you feel your work/hobby has to be to someone elses perception of perfect.
    Everyones taste and style's are different, Lowrey and DaVinci, imagine a matchstalk Mona lisa lol

Quote Originally Posted by caroleallen View Post
    No, it's just a hobby, so I won't deflate her bubble. I think she secretly knows that they're not great. She did a pencil portrait of me when I was young and the eyes are all out of proportion. I've had to put it on the wall and it gives me the heeby jeebies every time I catch sight of it!
    Caroleallen that made me laugh, you are obviously a very caring sister, maybe she was trying a mix with abstract art, they say an artist uses their own interpretation of what they see :-)
    Self teaching with the memory span of a gold fish

Quote Originally Posted by Summer View Post
    It's an awful feeling isn't it Pat when you feel your work/hobby has to be to someone elses perception of perfect.
    Everyones taste and style's are different, Lowrey and DaVinci, imagine a matchstalk Mona lisa lol

Caroleallen that made me laugh, you are obviously a very caring sister, maybe she was trying a mix with abstract art, they say an artist uses their own interpretation of what they see :-)
    Sadly not, Summer!