Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Two rings....

I have to agree with Peter in terms of traditional 'jobbing' and repairs,......that is unbelievable heart in the mouth stuff.....

Rebuilds are a different matter, I am clear at the beginning of the process that the customer knows that reclaiming of stones is unlikely to be 100%, that additional 'fresh metal will be added, particularly for settings, carat of metal cannot be guaranteed, but piece will be assayed, all diamonds are tested before the rings are touched,.......reduces the likelihood of being accused of swapping a stone,..........all have to be costed in, plus work, setting, additional stones.......and offsetting/ judging available metal you are being given.....I guess it can be a bit of a minefield!!

In terms of design, the rubies/sapphs all along the shoulders just seemed to increase the 'red,white & blue' look, the flat metal, at least gave some separation....?? Well, it's possible that I may be guilty of over-polishing (though it on;y got a bit of a lick once set)!! This guy is one of 2 setters I use, his work is generally good, but can be a bit hit and miss.....though I do discuss with him if i'm not happy,....to the eye this looks good, I most certainly bow to your better eye and experience regarding setting Chris!!

The style of the ring I like, in fact I quite covet (if I could choose my own mix of stones ;D)!!

Thanks for all your comments, I have really enjoyed the learning involved in making this piece,.....seems to be a bit of a marmite one!!

No doubt it looks great, blame the fact of being able to zooom in on stuff these days!
    It's easy to criticize under magnification, I do it to myself quite abit..I also have a habit of sharing my thoughts rather than safely keeping quiet

Sent from my HTC Desire S using Tapatalk 2

Somebody after my own heart, I get in a lot of trouble by sharing thoughts, keep quiet its safer.

Quote Originally Posted by Patstone View Post
    Somebody after my own heart, I get in a lot of trouble by sharing thoughts, keep quiet its safer.
    Don't I know it
    Forums get abit boring if your too careful & written word can come across abit harsh...

Sent from my HTC Desire S using Tapatalk 2

So can verbal sometimes. Even tactful criticism is difficult, try to turn it into a positive, like ... that is really nice, do you think you should sand out all the scratches before selling it.. hahaha

It's a fine line between constructive criticism and destructive However... Your work is based more on what I've described as the European techniques, while I suspect this was the using traditional techniques; I get the distinct impression you're as critical of your own output!

BTW - I bought a copy of Wykoff after you mentioned it; it's an interesting one, there's a lot of stuff in there that I've not seen in print elsewhere. Foolishly, I also bought his book on faceting; I need to try and stay away from that for now.

I think pointing things out is helpful rather than just positive comments...no comment is far worse.
    Besides I know first hand work looks way better in real life, my camera kills nice looking jobs!

Quote Originally Posted by Gemsetterchris View Post
    I think pointing things out is helpful rather than just positive comments...no comment is far worse.
    Besides I know first hand work looks way better in real life, my camera kills nice looking jobs!
    Yup. One tactic I was taught was to say something you like, followed by something that could perhaps be improved.
    Macro shots are very, very unforgiving!

Traditional does suit the design, newer methods can look abit clinical.
    I might have been tempted to millgrain it..

Having learnt both methods, sometimes trying to combine them works well.
    Thanks for the lesson in tact.

Might dig out Wykoff tonight for a pre-bedtime read with my friday beer.

Quote Originally Posted by Gemsetterchris View Post
    Traditional does suit the design, newer methods can look abit clinical.
    I might have been tempted to millgrain it..

Having learnt both methods, sometimes trying to combine them works well.
    Having the traditional to fall back on for minor adjustments is quite handy at times.

Thanks for the lesson in tact.
    That was from dive instructor training Sometimes you'd get a student who you'd despair of ever actually finishing a dive alive, so it was a handy tool.
    More tactful then my old platoon sgt who would summarise performance with "Ahhhhh, you're sh..."