Thread: Source for engraving vice

Default Source for engraving vice

I am looking for an engraving block vice. I see that Cooksons don't do them, Sutton do the GRS low profile and micro vices, the micro looks a little small for what I want and the low profile is about twice what I want to spend. Cousins do some but their terms and conditions look a bit anti-hobyist and I have read some bad reviews of them. So my question is is there anywhere else I should be looking?

The immediate question I would ask is - why do you want one, and are there lower-tech solutions that would work? My initial engraving training used a sandbag to support objects; it wasn't until much later I acquired a block. Admittedly, now I have 3 (2 of the micro vices...) but that's not the point

Karl Fischer have the Victor vice, as well as some older-patter ones; there's an article on Ganoksin about making an engravers ball out of a bowling ball (I bought one intending to do that, then the vice came up on EBay)... Steve Lindsay makes some very nice ones, but they have a price tag to match the quality.

fair point. I have tried a bit of engraving (I only own 1 graver so far) and found that using one of these made life a lot easier but I felt it needed more mass. I am currently in the process of making my own air powered engraver so I thought that decent vice would be a good idea. I was contemplating making one either with a bowling ball or a mild steel ball. However my lathe is not really beefy enough to turn 150mm mild steel.

Alternatively, have a look here - http://www.fhbrundle.com/iron-spheres.htm - cut a flat on with an angle grinder, then mount the business end of the hand vice on it? Low tech but a decent mass.

That is one of my reserve plans somewhere around plan-F but I would prefer to have a proper one if I can find one. One of the "budget" Indian imports is all I need really, I can fettle it to get it working well, That the thing with doing this as a hobby, 10 hours of machining and fettling outweigh the extra £300 for a better unit off the shelf; an equation that wouldn't make any business sense.

I love that word "fettle". I don't think its used around these parts.

A proper fitter's term, that one. Now rarely used outside sheds.
    Bodging is another one I like - although when someone says something's a bodge, I'm tempted to ask to see their pole lathe...