Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Favorite Pendant Motor Accessories.

Default Favorite Pendant Motor Accessories.

Hi all.

I'm just about to order a whole bunch of pendant motor accessories - the same old abrasives and mops I always order and I was wondering ....... Does anyone have any "favorite" accessories?
    ie: Things they find really useful or bits they use all the time / couldn't live without.

Just about everything I make is cast and I clean everything up from really rough to a mirror finish with my pendant motor and big old polishing motor. I'm always looking for new thing-me-bobs to make the process slightly less painful.
    So, has anyone got any suggestions? Thanks. x

dear old Blighty - (in deepest Wiltshire)

I love those silicone abrasive wheels / buds (usually black, green and blue). Oh, and Moores sanding discs (clip on variety). I use the coarse discs on any delft casting and then go through to the finer sand. I like the texture they leave

the larger 3m radial disks in brown, green and yellow. fab for castings.

Thanks guys - looks like my list is going to get quite a bit longer

Wallace- Are these the right Moores sanding discs? http://www.suttontools.co.uk/moore-s-plastic-discs.html

Liz - I usually use the 25mm radial discs & I've never seen brown ones. Where can I find these little treasures?

I use silicone abrasives a lot in all shapes - different range though, so the colours are different. I find I use the radial disks less than I used to, but they're still very useful.
    Other than that... Cutting discs, diamond wheels (the finer, more expensive ones), diamond-impregnated rubber disks (fantastic for shaping & sharpening gravers), burrs of all sorts, sanding mandrels and so on and so on.

I use a lot of drum sanders; roll sanders (despite the fact that I find them really irritating) for rough castings and radial discs for the finer finishing.

What silicone abrasives and sanding mandrels do you prefer?

roll sanders and the pointy silicone abrasives in all grades for getting into nooks and crannies.

I love my roll sanders and have recently discovered these purple abrasive drums which are great for removing a lot of metal like sprues etc. http://www.woodworkscraftsupplies.co...ath=94_101_148

Quote Originally Posted by Lucie View Post
    What silicone abrasives and sanding mandrels do you prefer?
    It's the Eve range of unmounted ones I use - I got so fed up of trying to remember which colour was which grade from which manufacturer that I decided to stick with one brand. I use a coarse diamond sharpener (a cheap one) to reshape them as needed.

Sanding mandrels - the bog-standard parallel ones, but I tend to cut the shanks down so they sit close to the chuck; I've had cheaper ones fail due to unbalanced rotation, whereupon they turn into propellers...

Oh, one other wheel I use is a Hitzlos or Mizzy wheel - aggressive little things, the Mizzy are touted as "heatless"; they're not, but they cut quickly so don't build up as much heat.

I keep meaning to get some pin polishers and a carbide burnisher, but haven't quite got around to it.

Carole - That's exactly what I use my drum sanders for. Fabulous for removing sprues. Although I've been getting mine here:
    https://www.cousinsuk.com/catalog/to...e-bands#select

Peter - Thanks for the heads up on the silicone abrasives - have been getting a little baffled by the different colours.
    Sanding mandrels - That's exactly why they bug me

I'll take a look at the Mizzy wheels & pin polishers.

This lot should keep me busy for a while. Thanks everyone