Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Favorite Pendant Motor Accessories.

Lucie, I got mine as a huge lot sent over from the states by a friend about three years ago. Can't recall the company now but they were about 25p each. However international shipping was only for orders over £300 and was high, hence my friend sending over. Otto Frei do them though. Can't recall price but their shipping is fast and not expensive.

Good tip on sticking with one company for abraisives. I end up going through trial and error to pick the right one.

Barrel sander users, how do you stop them flying off?

Thanks Liz - I had considered Otto Frei. I don't mind international shipping per se, but have been REALLY stung a few times with import taxes. UPS turned up and insisted I hand over a rather large cheque before I could have my lovely tools

Barrel sanders have their own special mandrel arbours (either 9.5mm or 12mm) - never had a problem with one flying off yet lol.
    They whip through rough castings and large amounts of metal no problem and save me soooo much time.
    https://www.cousinsuk.com/catalog/to...e-bands#select

Now I have my lovely list of bits to order, I'm off to trawl through old posts to help me decide on a decent torch & saw (groan). x

Quote Originally Posted by medusa View Post
    Good tip on sticking with one company for abraisives. I end up going through trial and error to pick the right one.
    Life's too short... I have an assortment still from all sorts, dating from reading tutorials that said you should use THIS one true brand; source the thing and find it's pretty much the same as the more readily available ones. Cratex, for example.

I should have an Otto Frei order show imminently - it was in transit for 3 days, then sat in customs for a week... Not much point paying for ultra-fast delivery when the major delay is state employees.
    VAT + a small amount of duty + Parcel Farce extortion fee paid online yesterday, as soon as they deigned to notify me.

Lat time I ordered £60 worth of bits, I got stung for over £35 duty (grrrr). By the time I paid delivery, it wasn't exactly cheap anymore

Quote Originally Posted by Lucie View Post
    Thanks Liz - I had considered Otto Frei. I don't mind international shipping per se, but have been REALLY stung a few times with import taxes. UPS turned up and insisted I hand over a rather large cheque before I could have my lovely tools

Barrel sanders have their own special mandrel arbours (either 9.5mm or 12mm) - never had a problem with one flying off yet lol.
    They whip through rough castings and large amounts of metal no problem and save me soooo much time.
    https://www.cousinsuk.com/catalog/to...e-bands#select

Now I have my lovely list of bits to order, I'm off to trawl through old posts to help me decide on a decent torch & saw (groan). x
    I got some with my foredom, but… Maybe I'm putting them on the wrong way round?

I bought Jill's Knew concept saw off her. Love it. won't fit in the foredom though.

Quote Originally Posted by ps_bond View Post
    Life's too short... I have an assortment still from all sorts, dating from reading tutorials that said you should use THIS one true brand; source the thing and find it's pretty much the same as the more readily available ones. Cratex, for example.

I should have an Otto Frei order show imminently - it was in transit for 3 days, then sat in customs for a week... Not much point paying for ultra-fast delivery when the major delay is state employees.
    VAT + a small amount of duty + Parcel Farce extortion fee paid online yesterday, as soon as they deigned to notify me.
    oddly, my customs form from OF said it was exempt. maybe because it was swiss made and being imported back into europe?

I think I might email them about the duty to see if they know the score / what usually happens for UIK customers.

Do you think the Knew concept saw is significantly better than any other - trying to justify the cost
    I absolutely hate my current basic adjustable saw frame!

I love it, but Jill who does pretty intricate piercing work hated it. Maybe get to try one out before buying? What I can say is I seem to be able to saw in a straight line now but my piercing work is pretty limited at the moment, though my original frame was pretty basic and cheap. The worse thing I find is fitting the blades. it's a bit fiddly and if they break then you can't re-use them like with an adjustable frame.

Yup - Sawing in a straight line is my downfall too lol. Think I'll have to order it & hide the packaging from hubby. "What, this old thing?"

Almost forgot; what size is yours?

Quote Originally Posted by medusa View Post
    oddly, my customs form from OF said it was exempt. maybe because it was swiss made and being imported back into europe?
    Exempt? Wonder why.

Usually, it's VAT on items > £15 (including postage...) + customs duty if the goods are > £135 (but it's waived if < £9 duty) + excise duty (where appropriate). Plus Parcel Farce's handling charge if that's who's shipping it.

http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/customs/post/buying.htm#3

Quote Originally Posted by Lucie View Post
    Yup - Sawing in a straight line is my downfall too lol. Think I'll have to order it & hide the packaging from hubby. "What, this old thing?"

Almost forgot; what size is yours?
    uuum I think it's 3"? not sure really. It looks a bit too space-agey to pass off as old junk. Even Mr Medusa was "oooh that looks interesting!"

Quote Originally Posted by ps_bond View Post
    Exempt? Wonder why.

Usually, it's VAT on items > £15 (including postage...) + customs duty if the goods are > £135 (but it's waived if < £9 duty) + excise duty (where appropriate). Plus Parcel Farce's handling charge if that's who's shipping it.

http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/customs/post/buying.htm#3
    I think if something has originated in the european community, then you don't have to pay some of the charges in some circumstances. I should have made a note of the exemption notice and checked it out.