Thread: Sizing an anticlastic ring

Default Sizing an anticlastic ring

I have searched but can't find the answer - I've never made an anticlastic ring to size - if I'm making a hammered finished one it will no doubt stretch anyway from the hammering, but what effect does shaping it on a sinusoidal stake have on its size please?

As a rule of thumb, I estimate 10% reduction from the start diameter when I'm making them. It varies according to how much you form it though.

dear old Blighty - (in deepest Wiltshire)

I measure down two sizes, that seems to work for me. But 10% sounds like a good move, thanks Peter.

I always measure the length exactly as it would be for a normal ring. Anticlastic rings should be smaller than the ring size because they slip on and off so easily and this seems to work well for me. Depending on how you're making it, it won't actually stretch.

thanks all, I will make a practice one and see.

I've made a couple of thumb rings and found them to shrink quite a lot......maybe I overdid the raising!!

'ere! You've all told me different things now! Whoever's closest gets an easter egg ;-)

Well, definitely don't listen to me when it comes to anticlastic raising Lydia.....I have only experimented and played!!

You're right, it will shrink but it does need to be a bit smaller because otherwise it will slip off too easily. It's not easy to size them and I must have made hundreds over the years. I usually check the size on one of my fingers if I can and what fits me is usually about 2 sizes smaller on my ring stick.

The reason anticlastic rings are so difficult is that you can't stretch them once they're made on a ring stretcher, because they'll just end up flat again.