Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Bangles, Bracelets, Torqs (Torques/Torcs), Cuffs - Definitions

I always think of cuffs as being wide as in a shirt cuff whether open or closed and bangles being much narrower.
    Mmm I would imagine buyers have their own ideas too, I suppose that's why etsy requires so many photos

Thanks to everyone for your helpful replies.
    It seems that I can stick with my original understanding as long as I qualify the description with words and photos and don't mislead.

Theresa - Extra thanks for you comments re Etsy as that was the trigger for my original post.
    You've given me some extra tag ideas which I haven't listed. Hopefully will get round to opening the shop soon but the prep seems to be quite long winded and full of twists and turns for a first timer. I want to get at least 10 items on to start. Good job my wife can type!

All the best
    Tim

had a think about this last night.... (I know.... ) and this is what I reckon:

Bracelet: linked or chain type with bolt and jump ring or similar fastening

Bangle: general term split into sub sections:

Snap bangle - solid (or hollow...but not chain linked is what I mean!) and hinged with box snap fastening up to around 1" wide or so...
    slave bangle - solid with no fastening, usually narrow.
    torq bangle - solid, three quarters round with usually ball or bobble terminations
    baby bangle: solid, small diameter but expendable so baby can wear it as they grow. construction a bit like a belt with a couple of "loops" so that the bangle can expand
    buckle bangle: solid but constructed just like a belt with an adjustable buckle

Cuff : like a bangle but generally much wider..could be slave, snap, buckle or torq in style.....

I guess though everyone has slightly different views??

Thanks Steve,
    I'll print these and some of the other ideas to hold in my hard copy file Always useful for future ref.
    Tim
    Quote Originally Posted by SteveLAO View Post

Snap bangle - solid (or hollow...but not chain linked is what I mean!) and hinged with box snap fastening up to around 1" wide or so...
    torq bangle - solid, three quarters round with usually ball or bobble terminations
    baby bangle: solid, small diameter but expendable so baby can wear it as they grow. construction a bit like a belt with a couple of "loops" so that the bangle can expand

Cuff : like a bangle but generally much wider..could be slave, snap, buckle or torq in style.....

Quote Originally Posted by SteveLAO View Post

Hi Steve,

I'd agree with all of those, but questions/debate regarding two types!!

Firstly...buckle bangle.....well, your description was good, but, I had never heard of nor seen these,....so...a quick google and a question, the ones which came up seem to be hinged, (I'm guessing the 'buckle' part provides the fastening, opposite the hinge), would you expect them to be hinged??

Secondly,...I would debate the cuff definition,....agree on a wider piece, but in your descriptions, you don't have an open bangle, e.g. with gap to enable wearer to put the bangle/cuff (etc.) on, you have a torq, and I think your description is very clear, but where would the broader, flat sheet, open section 'wrist wear' fit??!! (...and don't say on the wrist!! ;-p)

Thanks for yours and everyone else's thoughts, very useful.....(I also agree about these all helping in tags, and the use of a broad selection as a 'catch-all')

Tabby x

I would generally agree with Steve, to my mind, a bangle is a rigid (ish) form encircles the entire circumference of the limb (with slave bangles, I have one that is not joined but does overlap, so to my mind is a bangle) It may or may not have a clasp and hinge. A torque has terminations of some description. A cuff tend to be flatter and has open ends. A bracelet, though could be used to describe any jewellery that encircles the wrist, would generally be thought of as having links of some description and be reasonably flexible. My etsy shop section for items of this type is 'cuffs and bracelets' and seems to work for searches. Of course, you can use all terms in your keywords for one item (and you can use a couple of terms as one keyword to cover searches for both (eg 'bangle bracelet') as long as it's under their specified number of characters - etsy don't encourage that, but they won't beat you up over it either!

Buckle bangles were very popular in the Victorian times. The bangle was solid up to the "buckle" section which was often hinged so that you could get it over the wrist.

I do agree that cuffs are often open again to get them on the wrist, so like a torq in construction but at the cuff is so wide there are no terminations at each end, so you can include "your" cuff in with "my" cuff description!

Quote Originally Posted by Tabby66 View Post
    Hi Steve,

I'd agree with all of those, but questions/debate regarding two types!!

Firstly...buckle bangle.....well, your description was good, but, I had never heard of nor seen these,....so...a quick google and a question, the ones which came up seem to be hinged, (I'm guessing the 'buckle' part provides the fastening, opposite the hinge), would you expect them to be hinged??

Secondly,...I would debate the cuff definition,....agree on a wider piece, but in your descriptions, you don't have an open bangle, e.g. with gap to enable wearer to put the bangle/cuff (etc.) on, you have a torq, and I think your description is very clear, but where would the broader, flat sheet, open section 'wrist wear' fit??!! (...and don't say on the wrist!! ;-p)

Thanks for yours and everyone else's thoughts, very useful.....(I also agree about these all helping in tags, and the use of a broad selection as a 'catch-all')

Tabby x

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	$_12.JPG 
Views:	12 
Size:	20.2 KB 
ID:	5874 is a picture of one style of buckle bangle, a simple version which relies on tension rather than a hinged buckle, but you can see the idea?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	images.jpg 
Views:	20 
Size:	11.0 KB 
ID:	5875 Ha!! found the pic of a buckle bangle....note the hinge running over?

Thanks Steve, very helpful (as always), that last buckle bangle is very clever!!