Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Bangles, Bracelets, Torqs (Torques/Torcs), Cuffs - Definitions

Question Bangles, Bracelets, Torqs (Torques/Torcs), Cuffs - Definitions

Hello,
    Haven’t been on for a while but would appreciate if anyone could guide me on this one.
    I’m currently setting up an Etsy Shop and am getting somewhat hung up on descriptions for ‘Things that are worn on wrists’! I don’t wish to become OCD about it but neither do I want to be wrong.
    I’ve Googled and Wiki’d but definitions seem to be a bit loose so I’d be interested to know if there are any generally accepted descriptions. My current understanding is as follows:

Bangles – Usually solid, closed and circular.

Bracelets – Usually flexible such as chain or stranded wire and fitted with a fastener/catch system.

Torq (Torque/Torc) – Usually open, solid and circular or elliptical/oval. This is the one I find most confusing as the origins suggest twisted metal is used. Also any guidance on describing elliptical sizes for customers would be appreciated.

Cuff – Usually like the Torq description above but wider......... how much wider?

Sorry if the question seems a bit daft and I realize there will be many other variants but if someone could confirm my understanding or offer any alternatives I’d be grateful.
    All the best
    Tim

I think it would be down to the individual artist to define the piece as long as it falls broadly into a category, you can add further words in your description to better define the item.

Thanks for that Ebo,
    Good advice.
    Tim

PS just seen your post on granulation. Nice work, fascinating link to Ganoksin!

Aw fanks Tim I do love Ganoksin!

Quote Originally Posted by Ebo Von Gaz View Post
    I think it would be down to the individual artist to define the piece as long as it falls broadly into a category, you can add further words in your description to better define the item.
    I think that is the answer. Such dictionary definitions as I can find are rather vague, pretty much allowing you to use your own definitions.

Bracelet (Concise Oxford English Dictionary)-Ornamental band or chain, worn on the arm.

Bangle (COED)- An ornament worn on the arm.
    Bangle (Collins English Dictionary)-Bracelet usually without a clasp, often worn high on the arm.

Cuff No jewellery related definition found.

Torque (Collins ED) A necklace or armband made of twisted metal. Dennis.

My understanding....as follows.....

Quote Originally Posted by TeeDee View Post

Bangles – Usually solid, closed and circular. Complete/continuous loop fitting loosely on wrist, more or less any shape, mainly circular or oval, but I have seen square and triangular shapes, slipped over the hand to wear

Bracelets – Usually flexible such as chain or stranded wire and fitted with a fastener/catch system. as you've defined, flexible, usually chain and with clasp/opening system of some kind

Torq (Torque/Torc) – Usually open, solid and circular or elliptical/oval. This is the one I find most confusing as the origins suggest twisted metal is used. Also any guidance on describing elliptical sizes for customers would be appreciated. twisted wire strands which are twisted together to form an oval (more common)/(or)round generally with an open section (often with a finishing detail, such as a ball on each end), to allow the wearer to put it on, fitted/fairly closely fitted when worn

Cuff – Usually like the Torq description above but wider......... how much wider? Made mostly from sheet metal, shape to your choosing, but with open section (as opposed to bangle which is continuous).....on that basis, I would guess width could be negotiable, but generally fairly broad...

Sorry if the question seems a bit daft and I realize there will be many other variants but if someone could confirm my understanding or offer any alternatives I’d be grateful.
    All the best
    Tim
    I think these are good questions of clarification Tim,.....could prove to be a good debate.....

To me a bracelet is something with links or is flexible, a bangle is a joined up round (or other shaped) strip of metal and a cuff is a strip of metal that is not joined up.

I go with what Carole has said. Re torqs - I didn't think these had to be made with only twisted wire. I'm sure I've seen plain wire ones being referred to as torqs as well (but I could be making that up)

And there's no such thing as a daft question
    Indi

and torcs usually have a ball or bobble at each end too don't they?

Quote Originally Posted by TeeDee View Post
    Hello,
    Haven’t been on for a while but would appreciate if anyone could guide me on this one.
    I’m currently setting up an Etsy Shop and am getting somewhat hung up on descriptions for ‘Things that are worn on wrists’! I don’t wish to become OCD about it but neither do I want to be wrong.
    I’ve Googled and Wiki’d but definitions seem to be a bit loose so I’d be interested to know if there are any generally accepted descriptions. My current understanding is as follows:

Bangles – Usually solid, closed and circular.

Bracelets – Usually flexible such as chain or stranded wire and fitted with a fastener/catch system.

Torq (Torque/Torc) – Usually open, solid and circular or elliptical/oval. This is the one I find most confusing as the origins suggest twisted metal is used. Also any guidance on describing elliptical sizes for customers would be appreciated.

Cuff – Usually like the Torq description above but wider......... how much wider?

All the best
    Tim
    When I list bangles/bracelets on Etsy I make sure that I use all of my tags to catch possible buyers who may call them something else! In my opinion bangles can be open or closed, but bracelets usually closed.
    Cuffs I usually list as wide & open, but using all of your tags helps to cover all possibilities.