Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dont usually but...

Default Dont usually but...

I don't usually post pictures of my stuff as it is a) frankly rather odd, and b) almost immediately eclipsed by something far more professional and generally shiny by someone else, however I'm a bit chuffed at teaching myself granulation and fusing so I thought I'd show today's burnt offerings for viewing pleasure, edification and amusement.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	balls1.jpg 
Views:	74 
Size:	67.0 KB 
ID:	5850

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	balls2.jpg 
Views:	56 
Size:	52.8 KB 
ID:	5851

Tadaaaaaa

I like! I'm also shy about showing stuff because it's odd and less blingy than others

Well, I think it's rather impressive to have all those balls soldered on and in a nice pattern, I have struggled with granulation.......very nice Ebo

Thanks for sharing Ebo - I think it's lovely.

I have never tried fusing (still trying to master soldering), Did you use fine silver to fuse, and did you fuse the ring too, or just the granulation?

Susie

Thanks guys, I really appreciate the positive feedback. I sometimes feel like a toddler trying to show off a finger painting in a room full of artists!

Medusa, your stuff is lovely, I love your fingerprint work.

Tabby, yes granulation has been an interesting learning curve, especially recovery of the tiny balls, and not dropping the tiny balls everywhere once you actually make them!

Susieq, Thanks. It's all sterling, I depletion gilded the ring and electroplated the balls with copper, and soldered the ring after it was all done. I think it would be easier with a cast ring though.

I like rustic and so your ring really appeals to me. The soldering is a technical feat! If it were me, half of the balls would have dropped off while I was soldering the other half on
    Elaine at Mead Moon
    Mead Moon
    My Etsy shop

Thanks Meadmoon.

I was exploring the wonders of tragacanth gum to stick the balls on with pre-fusing, like playing with ectoplasm.

I could have gone all the way round with the granules but I think it might have been uncomfortable to wear rather than just extremely tactile to look at (is that the right grammar?)

I love tactile pieces. What is this gum please? I am intrigued!

I don't know if it matters when it comes to granulation, but the stuff in the ebay link is not gum tragacanth, it's cmc.
    I use both in my other hobby and they do behave slightly differently in that instance.
    Here's the first google hit that showed up
    I got my stuff from here
    LOVE the ring by the way.