Thread: Mounted or Unmounted Finger Felts?

Default Mounted or Unmounted Finger Felts?

Hi

Just about to buy one of these for the bench polisher. What's the difference between the two, please and which do you use?

Thank you
    Indi

I've found the unmounted easier for getting securely onto the spindle and more stable when spinning

I think I'm right in saying that mounted felts have a wooden or plastic insert with a hole in it. The felt is mounted on to this insert. This is the bit which engages with the tapered pigtail (the tapered threaded spindle) of your polisher.
    Mounted felts are quite rigid
    Unmounted felts are constructed only of felt with a hole in the end and are more flexible.

My bench polisher has pigtail spindles with very short and steep tapered threads which favours the unmounted felts although I've found that unmounted felts longer than about 50mm can be a bit floppy when in use.
    If you have longer pigtails with quite acute tapers then mounted ones may well suit.
    Hope this helps
    Tim

Thanks for the reply peeps....I bought a wooden spindle one prior to these replies but not had a chance to try it yet. I was going to go for the unmounted one but didn't! Oh well..we'll see how it goes!
    Indi

I've never been able to get my wooden one on the spindle - just too tough. Hope you have more success with yours Indi!

Well if the wood won't fit, you can always drill it out more, or ream it say with the tang of a file. Dennis.

I don't know what sort of wood it's made from but it's really tough. Don't worry though as I have other things now!

Quote Originally Posted by caroleallen View Post
    I've never been able to get my wooden one on the spindle - just too tough. Hope you have more success with yours Indi!
    That was my problem too Carole!!

"Dennis
    Well if the wood won't fit, you can always drill it out more, or ream it say with the tang of a file. Dennis."

I will give that a go Dennis, but as Carole says it is pretty tough stuff!! I'll let you know how I get on