Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Book Recommendations - Stone setting

Jill, I think this is why I'd go with a pro setter as well. That said, having read Chris' other posts about prepping a setting, learning how to do it must be helpful. I do have a few ideas which involve stones but so far I've not had commissions for stones which is currently what drives my learning.

You really ought to learn the basic theory anyway even if you have no intention of setting yourself.
    How can you make a setting for a stone if you don`t know how it is best done from a setting point of view?

You need to work together if you delegate work out, that way you get things done neatly & trouble free.
    I`ve had (and still get) alot of jobs with stones that really don`t fit together well..still do-able but alot of hassle could be avoided.

I'd be really interested in your PDF's too, stone setting has always been one of my major bug bears, it took me aaaaaages to grasp basic tube setting (I have Dennis to thank for demystifying that one for me!) and I have found a lot of youtube vids too blurry or not close up enough to really see what is going on (the one posted at the beginning of this thread is excellent though and has been bookmarked) I find when reading written instructions, it's important for me that the text is presented in small, step by step chunks with great pics (seems obvious, but I'm amazed at the amount of 'mind reading' a lot of tutorial writers expect you to have!)

Getting a tutorial together to please everyone & with perfect pics is quite a task..even then you can't cover every angle.
    Could be a while before anything is ready.

Sent from my HTC Desire S using Tapatalk 2

Quote Originally Posted by Gemsetterchris View Post
    You really ought to learn the basic theory anyway even if you have no intention of setting yourself.
    How can you make a setting for a stone if you don`t know how it is best done from a setting point of view?

You need to work together if you delegate work out, that way you get things done neatly & trouble free.
    I`ve had (and still get) alot of jobs with stones that really don`t fit together well..still do-able but alot of hassle could be avoided.

I completely agree Chris, I understand the principles, but haven't the time to put the practice in to perfect the technique. I work very closely with my setter, and fortunately get very few rejects......phew!!

As an alternative, Chris - how about "How to give your stone setter migraines"?

(other than ask them to write tutorials...?)

You could ask them to flush set a couple of triangular emeralds on Christmas eve morning & have it ready by lunch...

Sent from my HTC Desire S using Tapatalk 2

Quote Originally Posted by Gemsetterchris View Post
    You could ask them to flush set a couple of triangular emeralds on Christmas eve morning & have it ready by lunch...
    Did that really happen, or just one of your nightmares?
    Elaine at Mead Moon
    Mead Moon
    My Etsy shop

Quote Originally Posted by MeadMoon View Post
    Did that really happen, or just one of your nightmares?
    That is a true story.
    Not an ideal situation but it got done..

I'd be a potential customer for tutorial PDFs for sure. Still awaiting delivery of my Cogswell book, and have a lovely big Marquise shaped stone to set. Don't wish to claw set it, but as of yet, have no idea how to go about bezel setting it!

Great idea Chris.

Nick