Thread: Kiln table/stand recommendations...?

Default Kiln table/stand recommendations...?

Hi, I'm hoping to buy a small kiln soon for making metal clay items, but I'm not sure what to stand it on - it's going in the garage, so I wanted some kind of workbench, but I also think it might be best to put it on a heat resistant surface. I've been searching on the web but am no nearer to finding something suitable. Does anyone have any suggestions that might help?

I know a lot of lampworkers use this type of thing for their kilns: http://www.ikea.com/gb/en/catalog/products/70217336/ (there are cheaper ones as well), which have the advantage of being portable as well. I have an Ikea stainless steel covered workbench for all my 'hot' work, both kiln and flame, and love it, but if I had a bit more space, I'd definitely go for a trolley - especially with the extra storage space underneath.

Thanks very much The trolley from ikea looks ideal, but their website is playing up - I can't read the product description as the photo extends over it. I'll have to try and see if I can get something similar elsewhere.

I've got three of these http://www.ikea.com/gb/en/catalog/products/30240348/ in my workshop (garage) they're really sturdy, movable and cheap!!!

I've got the same as Lorraine, would one of those with some of the large heat resistant mats on top be an option??

Like these, but larger.....http://www.cooksongold.com/Enamellin...ct-description

Quote Originally Posted by lorraineflee View Post
    I've got three of these .... in my workshop (garage) they're really sturdy, movable and cheap!!!
    Thanks for the suggestions - I was wondering how sturdy trolleys like these might be that are not made of steel. I've shyed away from these wood ones as I thought from a safety point of view it might be better to get steel. Do you think it would be strong enough for one of the small table top kilns (weighing about 16kg?)

Thanks also, Tabby 66 - would the fibreboard be strong enough to support the weight of a kiln?

I have a trolley like Lorraine's that I use for my rolling mill and it is very sturdy. Due to lack of space, my kiln sits on top of my cooker (which hasn't worked for several years and I must get around to replacing one day) with ceramic floor tiles between the kiln and the cooker for heat protection. The floor tiles were about a tenner for the whole box and have been very useful for all sorts of things.
    Elaine at Mead Moon
    Mead Moon
    My Etsy shop

Quote Originally Posted by Sage View Post
    would the fibreboard be strong enough to support the weight of a kiln?
    I would have thought so, so long as it is placed on the fibre board on a level surface. The wooden trolley is certainly sturdy enough and provides a suitable flat surface

......as a matter of interest, I got the larger heat resistant boards from here https://www.cousinsuk.com/catalog/to...-boards-square (but you might want to check availability, sadly the customer service seems to have declined somewhat since the Birmingham shop closed )
    Last edited by Tabby66; 18-03-2014 at 09:58 PM. Reason: added link

Thanks very much for the suggestions everyone I will check out the links. Ceramic tiles sound very useful too.

My kiln came with it's own stand (from Paragon Kilns / Cherry Heaven kilns). You could contact them and see what they say?