Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: here's a funny thing...

Quote Originally Posted by Patstone View Post
    I don't want to add anything to keep photos in really, just wanted to know if what I had done is correct, or should it be done a different way.

Attachment 5858
    I would suggest that the thickening wire on the interior should be soldered in place before soldering the hinge/joint tubes in place. And using a pair of steel dividers for marking would make it easier to obtain an even width on the interior wires if they are made from sheet and also useful when positioning the joint tubes evenly. t If you don't have any dividers, I use Moore & Wright ones and there are lots available cheaply on eBay; http://www.ebay.co.uk/bhp/moore-wright-dividers

James

I have got dividers now, but didn't have when I made it. Presumably it is better to make the rim out of sheet rather than wire. Should it be soldered inside the rim or on the top.

Quote Originally Posted by Patstone View Post
    I have got dividers now, but didn't have when I made it. Presumably it is better to make the rim out of sheet rather than wire. Should it be soldered inside the rim or on the top.
    If making this item in silver I would make the rims from sheet, If you want a finish without any visible solder lines on the outside then solder the rims inside, but they do look OK if you solder the rims on the top edges when the rims are left proud around the outside of the locket as part of the design. If making the item in gold I would use wires for the rims to cut down on expense.

James

Thank you James, I thought it would be better in sheet, I will make another one soon.