Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: here's a funny thing...

Quote Originally Posted by Goldsmith View Post
    Sounds like someone has a thing about files,
    James
    I never used to, but since actually getting hold of some really nice quality ones, I am feeling quite seduced. I was also really impressed with how good Otto Frei were. I will use them again.

Just out of interest, if you were to finish the locket pictured to enable photographs etc to be put inside, at what stage would you put in the rim, and would you put it on the inside of the bowl, or on the top rim. I finished the one I started making four years ago, but it isnt very good, at least the hinge is ok, but I will have a "go" at making another one sometime.

Caroline, those files are called gapping files, I have a few but I prefer the parallel joint files. Euro Mounts stock some sizes of these gapping and parallel files, but only up to 2mm. I think. http://www.eurofindings.com/Tools#2&...02=77&Cat03=80

I bought my stock of joint files from a trade show in Basel many years ago. Just for the record when I am making hinge joints, I start my tube grooves by cutting a deep line first with a graver, then I increase the groove width and depth by cutting with a half round scorper before finishing with a joint file.

I have posted this before on another thread, but it shows a type of simple hinge I made.

Attachment 5794Attachment 5795Attachment 5796

James

Quote Originally Posted by Patstone View Post
    Just out of interest, if you were to finish the locket pictured to enable photographs etc to be put inside, at what stage would you put in the rim, and would you put it on the inside of the bowl, or on the top rim. I finished the one I started making four years ago, but it isnt very good, at least the hinge is ok, but I will have a "go" at making another one sometime.
    If I was making a locket for photos, I would follow this process;
    1-shape each half of the locket from sheet. 2- solder a rim inside each half. 3- file the grooves for the joint tube. 4-solder the joint tubes in place. 5- make bezels that fit inside the locket half rims. 6- solder faceplates to each bezel, slightly wider than the bezel. 7-pierce the interior of the faceplate that is soldered on each bezel. 8- acquire some glasses that fit inside each bezel, (watch glasses are good if the bezel is round) if the shape is not round, I buy the closest size watch glass and use my Cab machine to grind the glass to shape.
    I hope this all makes sense, if not let me know and I will draw some sketches to post.

James

Not sure I follow the bit about the bezels and watch glasses. Does that mean the photo has to be inserted before the glass is put in?

Ah, I think I've worked it out now. The bezels just slide into the locket.

I don't think may people use glass these days now that we can laminate photos.

understood until faceplates were mentioned, not sure what they are. One the one I made, my tutor (I should say useless tutor) told me to solder a flattened piece of wire around the rim of the dish on the top and she didnt know how to do the hinge. Thanks to your drawings on making a hinge, I have done that bit. I wanted a fairly simple one at the time because it was when I first started but I am probably capable of making something a bit more advanced now. Says she hoping !!!!!!!

Hinges are scary but I've done a few now and they do get easier. I think the secret is to just go for it and if it goes wrong, put it down to experience.

Here is a simple sketch of what I was trying to explain Pat, I hope it makes sense, obviously the size and shapes will depend on the original locket.

James

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	326b simple locket inner fittings.jpg 
Views:	17 
Size:	46.3 KB 
ID:	5855

These photo frames are bezel and faceplate types with fitted glasses.

Name:	018b- Apple suprise open.jpg 
Views:	21 
Size:	99.1 KB 
ID:	5856

James

I don't want to add anything to keep photos in really, just wanted to know if what I had done is correct, or should it be done a different way.

Name:	20140118_160044.jpg 
Views:	19 
Size:	32.3 KB 
ID:	5858

These photo frames are bezel and faceplate types with fitted glasses.

Name:	018b- Apple suprise open.jpg 
Views:	21 
Size:	99.1 KB 
ID:	5856

James