Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Delft casting - beginner help!

Default Delft casting - beginner help!

Hi all,

I'm just about to have a go at delft casting & was wondering how thin a piece of metal can be cast? I make lots of cufflinks like those in the attached photo - the base is made out of 1.85mm sheet & the design is cut out of 0.5mm sheet. Could I cast these? Should I cast the design separately & solder it on or cast as one piece? I could change the proportions a bit so the base is 1.5mm & the design is 0.9mm, say, so there's more definition?

Thanks!
    Victoria
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails spartan helmet cufflinks 4.jpg  

I would cast in one part and the thickness will not be a problem, give it a big supply funnel so you get plenty of metal to feed the cavity and make plenty of small air vents.

Thanks Josef, I'll give it a go as one piece!

Lovely cufflinks, Victoria. Let us know how you get on. I'm looking to have a go with delft (well, actually, with petrobond from mindsets and need to get some casting rings) so would be interested in how this type of thickness, casts.

BTW: well done on your first sale at NOTHS (I found out via your tweet x (did you know your signature links on the forum need to be updated?))!
    Indi

Congratulations on your first sale on Noths Victoria - first of many - expect to be very very busy!

I'm hoping to find some time to have a go at casting next week so will let you know how it goes Indi...would have a play this weekend but got the in-laws visiting! Thanks for reminding me about my signature on here for twitter...trying to drop the 'Vix' but I'm stuck with it on facebook & etsy.

Thanks re. NOTHS! It's gone quiet since that first sale Carol - do you sell on there & does it keep you very busy? I'm trying to get more UK followers & not have all my eggs in the big Etsy-basket!

Vx

Hi Victoria, I would echo Josef above, the delft will pick up plenty of detail as long as there is enough weight in the casting to press the metal into the detail. The photo is of a pair of back castings i made from a wax positive I took from a silicone mold, they're around cufflink size, maybe slightly larger than a penny.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1384236_516883041736469_204132273_n.jpg 
Views:	29 
Size:	78.2 KB 
ID:	5787

Quote Originally Posted by Victoria View Post
    I'm hoping to find some time to have a go at casting next week so will let you know how it goes Indi...would have a play this weekend but got the in-laws visiting! Thanks for reminding me about my signature on here for twitter...trying to drop the 'Vix' but I'm stuck with it on facebook & etsy.

Thanks re. NOTHS! It's gone quiet since that first sale Carol - do you sell on there & does it keep you very busy? I'm trying to get more UK followers & not have all my eggs in the big Etsy-basket!

Vx
    Yes, I'm with Noths. To get your first sale so quickly is very good. Many people wait for weeks. They do keep me very busy, for which I'm extremely grateful. Sales seem to double every year.

Thanks Ebo, they're fantastic & the detail is amazing! Excited to have a go now!

Carol - just found you - beautiful work! that's great to hear how busy you are too

I had a go at Delft casting today and failed miserably. The metal was molten and I kept the flame on it whilst I poured but it just formed a plug around the hole.