Thread: Where do people buy jumprings?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Where do people buy jumprings?

My son has decided to start making chainmail bracelets so I would like to find somewhere that supplies the best value stirling silver jumprings 18 g 3.5, 5 and 6 ID and twisted 3.5 ID. Suggestions would be appreciated.
    Al

For chainmaille, an awful lot of people buy them from me I'm guessing all the above sizes are based on 1mm wire?

If he's just starting, it's worth doing some practice in copper or aluminium though!

I don't keep these listed as there are so many size variations, but if you drop me a pm, I'm happy to see what I can do.

Also, The Silver Corporation are good value on quantities (sorry mizgeorge)

No need to be sorry Theresa I'm sure they are good value for general jewellery making (though they're actually pretty similar in price to mine). However, they don't make rings for maille with properly calculated aspect ratios based on inner rather than outer diameters, and sized for specific weaves. They're also machine rather than saw cut (by hand) so the closures are never that great.

Maille is a curious thing, and anything other than exactly the right size really doesn't work.

I didn't realise.
    I love the look of woven links but after attempting some basics decided not for me....

Morecmabe bay, on the edge of the lake district.

if you require a lot of jump rings, then it makes sense to make your own. The cost then is just wire. Making the coils is very easy, the problem is cutting them into rings. Tools such as the "Pepe tools jump ring maker", speed up production immensely if you require a lot of rings for chain mail.
    CelticDreams.co.uk
    Handmade jewellery in silver & gold
    By
    Dave Wilson