Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: here's a funny thing...

Default here's a funny thing...

… you can buy joint tube which is 4.75mm diameter, but it seems almost futile to search for joint files (or chenier or parallel round files) in the same size to make a seat for the tube. The closest are round files that are 3/16" which is slightly too large. Would a better way to approach it be to get to 4mm and then use a twist drill as a kind of hand file?

Or am I being too OCD about it?

Is there not a round needle file in your set, I've picked up various thicknesses over the years, or there is a needle file that is rectangular but only has the file on the outside edges, that's good for grooves

Using this conversion Liz there is no practical difference: http://www.metric-conversions.org/le...illimeters.htm.

You would be best though to use a saw cut, a scorer, and/or triangular/square files to start, because round files wander and tend to enlarge your groove. Dennis.

There is a technique to using round needle files I find and it you start the cut with the sharpest end and then work into it further up the file that stops it from wandering. I do a lot of carving with a round file.

Quote Originally Posted by CJ57 View Post
    Is there not a round needle file in your set, I've picked up various thicknesses over the years, or there is a needle file that is rectangular but only has the file on the outside edges, that's good for grooves
    nothing that big. I clearly need to spend money on more tools. Oh noes!

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis View Post
    Using this conversion Liz there is no practical difference: http://www.metric-conversions.org/le...illimeters.htm.

You would be best though to use a saw cut, a scorer, and/or triangular/square files to start, because round files wander and tend to enlarge your groove. Dennis.
    Quote Originally Posted by CJ57 View Post
    There is a technique to using round needle files I find and it you start the cut with the sharpest end and then work into it further up the file that stops it from wandering. I do a lot of carving with a round file.
    ahh, ok both, that is really good advice. I'm working up to it!

Unfortunately that file that I mentioned rectangular with smooth front and back and only file along the outside edges , I know very technical! Anyway it doesn't seem to be available anywhere which is a shame because it's great for straight channels. It either came in my set 30 years ago or I inherited it from a friend who was a machinist .

huh, yep, just been trying to get ~any~ decent sized, decent file and can I? Well yes, I can get one from Gesswein for $48. Why it costs $25 to send a file to the UK is beyond me. You would think that a swiss company would make their products more available in the UK.

I'm wondering if you would find differently sized needle files from engineering companies. I inherited. Lot of useless precision tools and some of the needle files are obviously quite different but also Swiss made. I do wish we didn't have to keep on searching for stuff in the US, surely there is a big enough market here!

i've tried the engineering companies. Just signed up to see if ottofrei has more reasonable shipping...

I found this model making tool company which has loads and I wondered if the broaches might be useful as they are for clockmakers and therefore straight and round rather than tapered. Had a closer look at mine and it's a Stubbs which is a British make.
    http://www.squirestools.com/12-06a.pdf