Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: What flooring should I have in my home workshop?

Default What flooring should I have in my home workshop?

Hello all,

I am very much a newbie just getting my own home workshop set up and wanted to pick your brains on what sort of floor covering you have in yours?

Right now my workshop is in the attic bedroom which is currently carpeted but I am thinking that it might be a good idea to put down some interlocking Vinyl/PVC/Lino type tiles on the floor?

Of course this would cover and protect my carpet but my main consideration for this is to reduce fire risks from any blowtorch accidents that might happen.

I would be most grateful if you could give me your thoughts on the best way to do this without it breaking the bank in the process.

Thanks in advance!

Eve x

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Good morning, Eve.

The main cause for concern will be dropped sticky things such as wax and BluTack, dust and filings, and of course dropped objects, particularly hot ones.

Thick vinyl is probably best, covering quite a large area around where you sit, but preferably in one or two pieces, rather than tiles, if they are likely to be forced apart due to the movement of your chair.

It is also a good idea to choose black, or a dark grey, to show up gemstones and dropped silver, but disguise the inevitable stains and burn marks

At the moment I have two, very thick loose floor protectors from Ikea, covering about two square metres and laced together with cable ties. Being translucent, they are the very devil to find dropped objects on and now are stained and disgusting. However they have never been penetrated by hot metal. Dennis.

I use exactly the same thing as Dennis - I've also got one in the kitchen

http://www.ikea.com/gb/en/catalog/products/44881100/

I used to work for a flooring contractor and didn't advocate putting vinyl of any sort on top of carpet, for one, any sharp objects will penetrate, and because of the pile on the carpet it wont stay put, it will move around so not suitable. I also make jewellery in my small bedroom which is also carpeted and I just have a very large white cotton rug also from Ikea on top of it to protect it a bit. Bear in mind though that cheap rugs on top of pale carpets will bleed colour, so if you have a pale carpet, go for paler rug. The one I have is fairly thin and will just about go in the washing machine, I tried the plastic cover that Dennis is talking about, but found that when I try to put pressure on anything my chair shoots backwards and I end up scooting across the room. You would probably be better to take up your carpet and roll it up and put somewhere safe. Expect the vinyl to stretch on a wooden floor because of the flexing when you walk on it. Hope this helps.

I used to use these in my studio http://www.tooled-up.com/product/flo...FQUIwwodBJsAAg

I bought mine in B&Q. They worked really well and were great under foot.

Not on top of carpet though I don't expect.

this is very timely. The floor of my studio is concrete, and as previous occupants wre painters/sculptors etc, it is in dire need of looking less grim. I've been wondering about vinyl too. Didn't even think about the hot metal aspect *hangs head*

No Pat, not on carpet. I've got vinyl now and so far it's been fine. Just don't drop hot metal on it.

While we are on the topic of hot metal, avoid synthetic aprons, because they melt, so hot pieces might fall right through. Dennis.

I have very similar to Carole, over floorboards......as has been said, dropping hot metal isn't good for them, the one advantage is that I usually get a little plume of smoke and a melting smell to help me find and recover the dropped piece (with tweezers)!!