Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: setting a facet in a bezel setting

Default setting a facet in a bezel setting

Hi guys and ladies :-)
    I have done my first ever setting a facet into a bezel, all seems to have gone ok but how do I know its in securely, I've turned it upside down and knocked the bottom and it's not fallen out lol. Thanks

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	101_6091.jpg 
Views:	88 
Size:	36.4 KB 
ID:	5741
    Self teaching with the memory span of a gold fish

Well done, Summer on completing your first facet-into-a-bezel setting! For open backs, I generally use a toothpick and apply a bit of pressure from behind to make sure a stone is secure.
    Indi

Try to extract it with a bit of fresh BluTack, or some sticky tape. This one looks as if it is well in. A shiny burnisher used over and over with medium pressure would get it smoother though.
    Congratulations on your first tube setting. Dennis.

Looks like you have a reasonable amount of metal over the stone to keep it in place Summer, a little pressure on the back of the stone will soon et you know if there is any movement or if it is going to pop out!!

Well done

Dennis' method is best.
    Congrats on your first try, now you can set the stones It's time to focus on the details.

Sent from my HTC Desire S using Tapatalk 2

Thanks for your reply's and comments, I can go get it finished now x

Sufergirl :-) Thanks, its not got an open back, I was wondering whether it would have been better to have done that, as more light would have shone through wouldn't it, bit late now though, but think i will do it that way next time.

Dennis :-) thanks yes i will try that with the tape and bluetack, once i know it's in ok i will concentrate on the burnishing, I just didn't want to over work the silver if it wasn't in securely. Does look a mess on that photo doesn't it lol

Thank you Tabby66 and GemsetterChris :-)

Back again, I tried both the BlueTack and tape method and i'm happy to say it stayed firmly put, thanks for that

I could do with an easier method for burnishing though as my poor wristies can't cope with it, so if you have any good advice it will be greatly appreciated, I've not a lot of muscle between thumb n finger) lost a lot last year due to Carpol tunnel, had double op on elbow n wrist which worked great but still not much gripping power, other wrist going same way, so could do with something that will make things like burnishing easier :-)
    Here is the piece now
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	CZ silver pendant 1.jpg 
Views:	51 
Size:	27.4 KB 
ID:	5744

It looks like the burnishing was worth the effort; it's transformed it. I don't know a lot about burnishing as I'm a novice, but maybe a burnisher with a tighter curve to it would enable you to exert the same pressure with less effort. The experienced will no doubt have better advice to give.

It's relatively easy to make one from a broken burr.
    Good lesson on Ganoskin.
    When I find the link, i'll post it.
    Forgot to say well done!