Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: setting tool

Quote Originally Posted by mizgeorge View Post
    Can I ask where you found those Dennis?
    I don't actually remember George, I've had them so long. What's more I always resented them, because I have upset them so many times. Then one day I tried to use the ones at college and found them hopeless.

Don't despair, I've just scoured my printed catalogues and found something which looks identical to mine at Sutton Tools: RC009 claw setting tool l2.0-12.0mm.
    You would have to have it on sale or return to be certain. Regards, Dennis.

I agree with Mizgeorge, you do have to be careful, easy to chip stones if not deep enough.
    I bought mine off Ebay. The one Soham is using looks way better quality.

The Euro set and the Suttons set look virtually the same but there's a big difference in price. Is there any difference?

Thanks for the pointers everyone. For some reason (probably tiredness) none of the search terms i used included the word "bezel" which would probably set me off in the tight direction.
    I have ordered the eBay set on the grounds that if nothing else it will provide me with a good starting point to make my own set. From the photo look a little shallow so they may need boring out and some internal polishing to get them working well. They are also in that black oxide finish that often hides poor finishing on imported tools so a quick skim with a small boring bar will probably be needed to get them usable. If I find they are any use and once I get the geometry right I may look at making some in silver steel and hardening and polishing them so that I can get the best finish.

It also occurs to me that something like a spin riveter but a little powerful than your average one would be a good tool for this job.

Quote Originally Posted by caroleallen View Post
    The Euro set and the Suttons set look virtually the same but there's a big difference in price. Is there any difference?
    I think they're the same Carole (and more expensive at Cousins as well). I've found Euro can be extremely competitive on some things though, so I'm going to upgrade mine to that one

They're on the Cooksons site. Roughly £60 iirc.

Nick

I've just ordered these: 18 piece Collet Closing set Don't really need the larger sizes in the other set (yet!) and the Cookson's set doesn't go small enough for me.
    Elaine at Mead Moon
    Mead Moon
    My Etsy shop

My kit has arrived and looked like this when I got it:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_4230.jpg 
Views:	36 
Size:	59.5 KB 
ID:	5737

You can see the surface is less than smooth and covered in a thick layer of lacquer.

And after a quick skim of the 4 largest pushers with a teeny boring bar under white water:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_4234.jpg 
Views:	36 
Size:	44.9 KB 
ID:	5738

Now to try them out...

They turned out nice looking forward to seeing the results

Mine are still yukky, perhaps that's why they don't work that we'll. What do you call white water - turps?