Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Claiming compensation from Royal Mail

Default Claiming compensation from Royal Mail

I have in the dim recesses of my mind the idea that if you post out jewellery RM will only pay out for the cost of materials and not the actual cost of the item. Was I dreaming this or has anybody actually been in the situation where they have proof of posting and proof of how much the customer paid for a specific item but RM refuse to pay up?

ETA: to clarify, I'm talking about when something actually gets lost in the post.
    Last edited by medusa; 24-02-2014 at 06:18 PM.

Your recollection is correct. Furthermore, they want original receipts, you can't claim for at least 30 working days and if they pay out it won't be for three months... So next tone the counter assistant asks how much you item is worth. Ask them if they mean how much you sold it for or how much the materials to make it cost?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Michael_D View Post
    Your recollection is correct. Furthermore, they want original receipts, you can't claim for at least 30 working days and if they pay out it won't be for three months... So next tone the counter assistant asks how much you item is worth. Ask them if they mean how much you sold it for or how much the materials to make it cost?
    Sorry but (no offence) that has to be cobblers. I have not had reason to claim, but had someone strike up a claim (as the seller) on a £200 ebay item. I doubt very much that they wrote to the factory asking how much the materials were worth. As per a co-existing thread on here somewhere regarding posting to Oz jewellery is permitted import since it is not (just) bullion.

eBay is a different matter. I have been sending my sold jewellery items through the post for a number of years now, I don't sell though eBay, but use other web sites. If you an item
    Is lost, the post office will only pay the sellers original purchase price. Next time you go the the post office ask for a claim form. On it you will see the example for the sale of a pair of jeans, the seller is only offered the wholesale price and NOT the retail price that they sold it for.
    I'm sorry but invoice has to be supplied for original purchase price. I know because I sold a ring for £300, it got list in the US, and the Post office are still arguing that they will only pay the £75 I paid for it at auction. Read the claim form.

Using Tapatalk

Nope, they don't pay anything at all on jewellery. And even on special delivery they pay out only wholesale not your retail and only grudgingly at that. I only shut them up by sending invoices written in Manderin and a copy of the receipt for the plane ticket
    Don't waste your money on signed for, by the way. it does NOT give you any insurance for jewellery.
    I only use them for under £50 and accept that some will go astray.
    Author: Pearls A Practical Guide
    www.pearlsapractical.guide
    www.Pearlescence.co.uk

Thank you pearlesence

Using Tapatalk

well I say how much insurance I want on the package so is that not how much I think it's worth?

eBay is a different matter. I have been sending my sold jewellery items through the post for a number of years now, I don't sell though eBay, but use other web sites. If you an item
    Is lost, the post office will only pay the sellers original purchase price. Next time you go the the post office ask for a claim form. On it you will see the example for the sale of a pair of jeans, the seller is only offered the wholesale price and NOT the retail price that they sold it for.
    I'm sorry but invoice has to be supplied for original purchase price. I know because I sold a ring for £300, it got list in the US, and the Post office are still arguing that they will only pay the £75 I paid for it at auction. Read the claim form.
    But I wasn't selling a pair of jeans. I was selling a £400 bangle. which I made. So there that was the retail price, just the price on the paypal invoice.

Quote Originally Posted by pearlescence View Post
    Nope, they don't pay anything at all on jewellery. And even on special delivery they pay out only wholesale not your retail and only grudgingly at that. I only shut them up by sending invoices written in Manderin and a copy of the receipt for the plane ticket
    Don't waste your money on signed for, by the way. it does NOT give you any insurance for jewellery.
    I only use them for under £50 and accept that some will go astray.
    I actually paid for International signed for to Norway. How do they determine the wholesale price given it was a custom sized bespoke item? Interesting that you say UK signed for doesn't give any insurance on jewellery. would that not contravene trades descriptions? what about using other postal services?

Ok it goes like this..
    You arrive at the counter and post your item. Filling in customs docs etc. the assistant asks you how much it is worth. You say £400. Receipt sad insurance up to £500.

It doesn't arrive. You go to post office and ask for a claim form. On it it says original value only.. What you purchased it for and a copy of receipt. Not what you sold it for. You say, but I made it. It is bespoke. They say receipt for materials you used to make it. Be it gold or jeans, they will only refund original cost and not what it was sold for. No receipt no payout. Simple and bloody unfair. I suggest anyone posting valuable should ask for a claim firm first and read it.
    For me.. I loose about 2% is sold items on Royal Mail international. I insure up to the cost I paid for the item, and take the hit. Signed for and tracking just helps me see what's going on and gives the customer some assurance.

RM international is about £12 per package I send. Usual value £150. Purchase price £70. So it's the way I do it. There are loads if other carriers FEDEX etc... But too expensive.

Using Tapatalk

Sorry about typos... Big fingers little phone

Using Tapatalk

I would never send anything I'd put a lot of work into by Royal Mail and expect to get adequately compensated if it was lost. A friend of mine once sent me an artefact that he'd worked on for about 60 hours, though the materials weren't very valuable. He sent it Recorded delivery with what he thought was adequate insurance. It never arrived, and the Post Office would only give him a few stamps as compensation. He couldn't prove it had any value as he'd made it himself. The Post Office will wriggle out of anything.