Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Upgrading from a microtorch

Quote Originally Posted by Sandra Tingle View Post
    Yes, but you have to make sure that someone nearby stocks the replacement canisters, so you don't have to pay postage. The larger canister is better value and does not alter the flame. Just makes it last longer. I hope you won't curse me for suggesting this torch. Dennis.

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis View Post
    I hope you won't curse me for suggesting this torch. Dennis.
    Don't sweat it Dennis - if I hate it it's no great loss!

Have you seen this torch kit Sandra; http://www.gasproducts.co.uk/acatalo...Torch_Kit.html it screws onto a standard propane cylinder.

James

Quote Originally Posted by Goldsmith View Post
    Have you seen this torch kit Sandra; http://www.gasproducts.co.uk/acatalo...Torch_Kit.html it screws onto a standard propane cylinder.

James
    Just to clarify, when you say standard propane cylinder do you mean the refillable ones that you get on a contract rather than the disposable ones such as these?

That's why I like the orca as a single fuel torch. You can use either a full size propane bottle, or (with an adapter) a disposable MAPP cylinder. The sievert needs a full size bottle - though a 6kg really isn't that big.

How do you buy your MAPP cylinders George? There seem to be lots of sources. Will the adapter fit them all reliably?

I usually get them from my local builders' merchant, but if I see a really good deal online I'll take it. I tend to stick to the Rothenburger version and have never had one that didn't fit. I can also use a rothenburger nozzle directly on the same cannister, or a hothead torch for emergency lampwork!

Goldsmith yes I've seen those and thank you for the link, but then when it comes to conversation on cylinders, propane, MAPP, refillables vs. disposables I just haven't a clue which is the main reason I haven't moved forward and upgraded my micro torch yet.

Quote Originally Posted by Aurarius View Post
    Just to clarify, when you say standard propane cylinder do you mean the refillable ones that you get on a contract rather than the disposable ones such as these?
    The Sievert torches require a contract cylinder which is usually a one off payment of around £35 plus the gas cost, then forever after you just pay for refill, which is just exchanging the empty cylinder for full one, my local garage stocks them and a few of my local garden centres also. If you do not have much space then a 3.9kg propane cylinder will do, this is only 13 inches tall by 9 inches wide and weighs 10kg when full, see; http://www.calor.co.uk/shop/gas-bott...as-bottle.html . It is so much easier soldering when you just have a torch in your hand. I have a large 13kg propane cylinder in a cupboard outside my workshop with a dual connector on the regulator so that I can have my Sievert and my Little torch connected to the same propane gas bottle, which gives me enough heat to anneal and solder large and small items. With this set up I have worked on items up to 16 inches wide in the past.

James

I think a Benzomatic T4000 using MAP gas is hot enough to solder, anneal and melt silver scrap etc. I have a 4 ft extension that clips the cylinder to your belt, so you can use the torch any angle you like.