Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Upgrading from a microtorch

I would suggest getting the Orca instead of a Sievert as it is so much easier and lighter to work wiht. You also get 3 tips, easily changable which takes on anything from small jump rings to large bangles. And you only need a bottle of propane. I use mine for most things, haven't had the cash to get a Little Torch and an Oxycon yet...

Carin
    Carin Lindberg

Camali Design
    www.camalidesign.com

Many thanks for the replies.
    I'm beginning to think I might buy the Orca.
    Could I just ask, is the EZ torch sold by Suttons the same torch as the Orca but just going under a different name? I notice Suttons sell the EZ as a kit complete with regulator, whereas Walsh's sell the Orca without a regulator. What's tipping me towards the Orca/EZ is the air adjustment facility and the relative lightness of it compared to the Sievert. Also the fact that there is a dedicated adapter you can get for using the small disposable propane tanks.

Yes, the EZ is just another name for the Orca. I'm a big fan, especially with the adapter to use MAPP cannisters, which makes it very portable.

Well I got myself an Orca, and I can tell you it has revolutionised soldering for me. I can see now that whilst the Proxxon minitorch is good for the small stuff, it's out of its depth doing anything substantial. I've got one small reservation: the threaded air adjustment ring seems to be quite a loose fit. This does have the advantage that you can turn it with only one finger, but I've noticed that the transition from a bushy flame to an oxygen-rich one needs only a small turn of the ring and the looseness of the ring means that it sometimes turns slightly of its own accord. I'd be interested to know whether anyone else has encountered this, whether they've found it a problem, and whether they've found a solution.

Hi Aquarius, sounds like the Orca is a goos buy. Did you solve your problems with the air adjustment ring ...?
    Jules

Quote Originally Posted by Petal View Post
    Hi Aquarius, sounds like the Orca is a goos buy. Did you solve your problems with the air adjustment ring ...?
    Sorry for my very late reply.

I've more or less learned to live with it. The problem essentially is that there is a little bit too much slop between the threads of the adjuster ring and the threads on the torch head. This means that when the torch is in operation there is a tendency for the adjuster ring to turn of its own accord (particularly when the torch head is pointing down) as a consequence of the inevitable vibration associated with the flame disgorging from the burner. Closer machining of the two threaded parts would resolve this, I'm sure.

One less drastic fix than remachining things might be to place a small compression spring just in front of the adjuster ring so that the adjuster is held under light compression as it turns. Hopefully this would decrease its tendency to rotate of its own accord; though because of the design of the burners, this trick might only work on the bigger two (you get three with the torch). I keep meaning to try this spring idea out but it's finding a spring that fits that is taking the time.

In spite of my small reservation, the Orca is still an excellent torch for novice solderers.

ETA: I could always have a go at making the spring myself of course.
    Last edited by Aurarius; 10-07-2014 at 12:00 AM.

With regards to the flaring 'dragon breath' of the hand held go system, a problem I have had, I recently read that you have to light the torch & leave it stood upright for 60 seconds to stop it flaring, bizarrely it seems to work

I still haven't upgraded my micro torch because for one, I can't decide what to buy! When I read the info here about Oxycon tanks and renting cylinders I get overwhelmed and just nervous thinking about it. I like the look of the little Smith torch, however with that is the issue of renting cylinders and such. Does something like the Campingaz offer different size tips?

Quote Originally Posted by Sandra Tingle View Post
    Does something like the Campingaz offer different size tips?
    They have offered one in the past and probably still do, but trying it I did not feel it offered any advantage over the standard tip, so I put it away and never used it again.

The whole point is that by reducing the flame size and reducing the air hole the flame is not in the least threatening, but heats a piece gently all over.

Anything fine such as chains and jump rings can still be done with the Proxxon. Another trick is to heat a piece gently with a large torch and cause the solder to flow locally with the small torch. Dennis.