Thread: Barrelling machine mods

Default Barrelling machine mods

I have just posted a thing on my blog about the mods I have made to the 3lb barrelling machine to make it slightly more usable which may be of interest to others.

Yes the lid is difficult to push right home, without venting the trapped air. But sometimes there is a piece of shot caught in there too.
    The lid is also difficult to remove again without turning back your fingernails, or dislodging the bottom.
    Here is a similar modification to yours, which I posted last year:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails mb Parts For Re-sealing Air Vent.jpg   mb Mini Barreler With New Air Vent.jpg  

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis View Post
    Yes the lid is difficult to push right home, without venting the trapped air. But sometimes there is a piece of shot caught in there too.
    The lid is also difficult to remove again without turning back your fingernails, or dislodging the bottom.
    Here is a similar modification to yours, which I posted last year:
    Of course you could always stand it in warm water for a minute or two and hey presto the contents expand and the lid pops off no problem. Mine is rubber with an alu insert... I just need to pinch the rubber to break the seal but I have to sweep for pins etc just about every time the lid comes off.

The barrel consists of a black plastic tube with similar white lids top and bottom. The challenge is to leave the bottom securely in place at all times, because if it separates even a little, some shot intrudes into the gap and prevents it from being re-seated.

You then have to empty the whole thing, clear the obstruction and re-fill from scratch.

If I were buying again, I would definitely go for the aluminium lid with a venting facility. Dennis.