Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Am I missing something??

Quote Originally Posted by Nick martin View Post
    Thanks Lisa, but with the Foredom drill press setup I can control the speed via the foot pedal. Appreciated though.

Nick
    No probs

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis View Post
    I personally dislike multipurpose tools, because they need to be set up when you want them. My recommendation would be a Proxxon drill press, which is quite small, but takes drills upto 6.5mm. You do need to buy the three jaw chuck, which is an optional extra, but then it is always ready to go. Dennis.
    I agree with Dennis, I used to do my drilling by hand until I bought the proxxon, it's a neat little drill and I've just bought the chuck which has made all the difference

Another huge thumbs up for the little Proxxon. I much, much prefer this to my foredom press, and like Dennis, tend to prefer one tool to do one job really well, rather than asking it to do more than one less well.

My understanding is that the milibro is a great bit of kit, it is a real workhorse and therefore used by many full time jewellers/ professionals.

I upgraded from a dremel type hand piece to a foredoom about 3+ years ago, my workload has increased substantially in that time, but it seems to be ideal. I have had problems with my quick release hand piece slipping, but the supply of a new chuck and being shown the 'technique' for tightening it by (the then very helpful guys at Cousins in Birmingham, before they shut that branch ), I have not had further problems, occasionally it loosens, but it's quick and easy to tighten (when you know how.....I didn't find the leaflet supplied very easy to follow).

I also invested in the bench press and I keep my No. 30 hand piece in that permanently, I cover the top of the hand piece with a coke bottle top when it's not in use, to prevent dust getting into it. Then all I have to do is swap the shaft from the quick release to the no.30, a very quick click and change!!

Unless you have a very high workload, I'd recommend the foredoom, it's good quality and in terms of value for money and the ability to extend it's use with a variety of accessories.

Tabby xx

I am glad it wasnt just me that couldnt follow the instructions for altering the tension on the Foredom handpiece. I tried to loosen and tighten and it didnt seem to make any difference. In the end I cut off the end of the allan key and had another go at it, but some of the shafts still slip. I wondered if it was a fault of the cheaper mops etc, a tad too small !!!!!

I've never had a problem with the Faro hand piece slipping in all the years I've used it. So far the Foredom is fine and hasn't slipped.

I have a Foredom and love it! Didn’t have any similar tools beforehand but now it’s like an extra limb. I would also agree with the positives of Foredom customer service. Even though they’re in the USA I’ve had useful and pleasant dealings with them. They sent me a new No20 handpiece for free after I experienced problems with the bearings that click onto the flexshaft, oh AND they sent me a new shaft kit. I also have the no30 handpiece (the chuck handpiece) which I still use if using accessories with a bigger shaft. Can’t comment on the Milbro, though.

Lisa! Where are you off too?
    Indi