Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Beaten by bezel

If the edge was uneven is it possible it was too high to start?

James, that is an interesting workflow. Had to read it twice before I got it. Would that be a good way to set stones with an irregular shape?

Like with any rubover setting, if the stone is too low (or wall too high), you end up with more metal than it takes to circulate the stone..which then leads to the extra bit folding over itself or making it difficult to get things neat.

Jon, as Chris has said, make sure that the bezel is a smooth and level as possible before you start pushing it over. When trying the stone in before you are ready to set it, lay a piece of dental floss across first with long ends, to yank it out by.

If it crinkled that was either because it was not a close enough fit (the stone should only just lift out with a wax cone or BluTack).
    Alternatively it might have been too tall (it should be only slightly taller than the bulge on the stone)

As for beveling, it is much easier to file a bevel on the outside rim before you start.

Lastly, for a beginner you will get the best results by cutting your strip with a saw, from 0.4mm fine silver sheet. Dennis.

Going abit more technical..what happens alot of the time is pushing the metal past the point of when it`s done its job.
    This is alot easier to witness under a microscope, you can really see the metal moving...what happens then is you push abit more & effectively squash the metal thinner between the harder stone (soft stones being suprisingly hard at certain angles) & the tool steel.
    Theoretically, you should`nt need to do any or much cleanup to the inside edge if you do it prior to pushing.

The other thing to remember is that the reason some of us know the answers is because we have been there & got the t-shirt.
    kEEP AT IT & WIN
    Last edited by Gemsetterchris; 19-03-2014 at 12:32 PM.

Have to say after reading this thread I'm going to view the AY book with a more circumspect eye should I ever get around to doing any meaningful gem setting.

Quote Originally Posted by medusa View Post
    Have to say after reading this thread I'm going to view the AY book with a more circumspect eye should I ever get around to doing any meaningful gem setting.
    Books & youtube videos are a great help, but only to a point.. you can`t learn every possible situation without experiencing things first hand & building up knowledge by doing & suceeding/failing..then you`ll build up a sixth sense to work with.

Quote Originally Posted by Gemsetterchris View Post
    Books & youtube videos are a great help, but only to a point.. you can`t learn every possible situation without experiencing things first hand & building up knowledge by doing & suceeding/failing..then you`ll build up a sixth sense to work with.
    Yup. At the moment face to face tuition isn't possible. I'm waiting on studies to be over and then getting something more efficient than books and trial and error. I'm actually not too bad at bezels, but really would like to expand. I think that stone setting more generally is down the list of other, more basic skills I need to perfect. If I got a commission which included stone setting, I'd probably send it to you.