Thread: Anyone a Member of ICO?

Default Anyone a Member of ICO?

Whilst speaking to an accountancy firm last week they mentioned as part of their start up package that they'd sign me up with an ICO membership. From the ICO website: "Under the Data Protection Act individuals and organisations that process personal information need to register with the Information Commissioner's Office (ICO), unless they are exempt."

Membership costs £35 a year and I just wondered if anyone has signed up. Taking their 'self assessment' : http://ico.org.uk/for_organisations/...elf-assessment leads me to think I'm obliged to take out membership.

This prompts me to ask what other professional memberships do people subscribe to and do you think it's worth your ££? Which are obligatory and which are voluntary?

Thanks
    Indi

Well it does look as if you need to register if you keep an electronic record of customers' particulars. Luckily I don't, but I was just being nosy. Dennis

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis View Post
    Well it does look as if you need to register if you keep an electronic record of customers' particulars. Luckily I don't, but I was just being nosy. Dennis
    Yes, that's what I thought, Dennis, though it's always nice to get confirmation. Thanks for being nosy
    Indi

I went through the ICO questionnaire to see if I needed to register (given a wish to maintain a database of customer details) and it keeps telling me I don't - which is completely at odds with my understanding of the system.

Oh dear :| now I don't know. Do you mean the self-assessment, Peter? I've just done it again and it says I need to register.
    Indi

That's the beasty; I redid it a few times because I didn't - and still don't really - believe the answer.

Hmm....your answer's a bit cryptic to my ignorant mind.....do you think I could avoid becoming a member until shouted at?
    Indi