Thread: Plating palladium

Heighington, a village just out of Lincoln

Default Plating palladium

Hi, I have carved a pendant design that looks like an upside down fan, spread out in a semicircle, with five folds,it has been cast in 950 Palladium, finished and hallmarked, I want to yellow gold plate the centre sail front and back to create the illusion that the middle bit is gold but have been advised by a metal plater, only after I sent it that it isn't possible, does anyone know different or is it indeed not possible?

From my memory of school chemistry, a little while ago now, I would say that you can only plate with a metal above it in the periodic table. So that means your advice is correct.

By the same token, you could probably partially plate a gold fan with Platinum. Of course I am just guessing here.

Your beast bet if you are intent on going ahead, might be to use gold leaf and gold size, but that would be a poor way to treat platinum. Regards, Dennis.

Heighington, a village just out of Lincoln

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis View Post
    From my memory of school chemistry, a little while ago now, I would say that you can only plate with a metal above it in the periodic table. So that means your advice is correct.

By the same token, you could probably partially plate a gold fan with Platinum. Of course I am just guessing here.

Your beast bet if you are intent on going ahead, might be to use gold leaf and gold size, but that would be a poor way to treat platinum. Regards, Dennis.
    I did think I said Palladium Dennis, though I knew what you meant, I didn't know that plating had a Hierarchy, so education has taken place, so I will accept I can't plate palladium, don't think the gold size is an option, a poor way to treat palladium let alone the very reverent platinum. So it will remain unplated, it's for a customer and I just didn't know that plating wasn't an option, the plater isn't sure if it can be plated at all, I asked about keumboo but he wasn't sure. I don't think it will happen really and am pleased that the collective brains have answered the call, thanks Dennis.

Sorry Bruggen, a trick of the brain, if any. I wouldn't have been so cocksure if I had read it correctly. Failing a decent answer here, you could trawl Ganoksin, or ask another plater:

http://www.thegoldsmiths.co.uk/libra...t=11322&&searc

Dennis.