Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: A South Sea Bauble.

Really beautiful Dennis.
    (Am stealing the bamboo tweezer tip too - thank you!) x

dear old Blighty - (in deepest Wiltshire)

what a beautiful result.

I always love your attention to detail Dennis. Beautiful.

Thank you all for liking the necklace and Wendy's pearl. Sorry about the misleading description --- Tahitian it is then. The pearl is just over 14.00mm in diameter, so easy enough to hold with fingers and did not mist over. Dennis.

14mm. Gosh. That's rather large. :has pearl envy:

A lovely necklace and pearl, Dennis. I'm not a pearl person but that blue is just yummy.

Sent from my GT-I9195 using Tapatalk
    Indi

Thats just beautiful Dennis. I found your remark about it going overseas very interesting. At the jewellery fair in Birmingham I was talking to a fab designer and commented on how I really liked some of the pieces. He said that they would probably end up overseas in the European market because the English are very conservative and don't value bespoke jewellery. How sad - in my opinion they were amazing designs.
    Didi

I really like that Dennis. So nice to see pearls used in a non-traditional way - the shaped bell is just beautiful.

That's a beautiful piece Dennis, and as has been said, the colour of those pearls is very striking indeed!

If you don't mind me asking, and as I'm a novice it's a novice question, how are the pearls attached to the chain?

I can clearly see silver wire coming from the top of the pearls, but how does it stay attached to the pearl itself?

Nick

Quote Originally Posted by Nick martin View Post
    I can clearly see silver wire coming from the top of the pearls, but how does it stay attached to the pearl itself?Nick
    That is quite traditional Nick using a half drilled pearl. You make a cup to fit, put a wire through the centre and solder it.

The wire protruding inside the cup fits the hole in the pearl. The rest of the wire is used to hang it in whichever way you decide. It could even be used as an earring post. In my case It passes through the top of the decorative bell, I called it a calyx, and is formed into a ring.

How is the pearl fixed? Well modern glues are so reliable, that I used two part epoxy. In the old days, they split the post, inserted a wedge first, and then pushed in the post to open its end. I think 'pearl glue' was added for good luck. Dennis.