Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Shocked at Cookson!

Default Shocked at Cookson!

Couldn't believe it when a customer questioned a quotation given for a heavy gold chain. He said he had found an online company called Cookson who would sell the same item considerably cheaper. When I checked, it was true: Cookson sell chain to the public at virtually the same price as they sell to the trade!
    What are things coming to?
    ATB Martin ...

Sadly, this has been the case for a while, a savvy customer with access to the web, can source an awful lot themselves......a world we're going to have to get accustomed to methinks!!

Had even worse scenario recently when customer asked for a quote of 8mmx8mm square gold earring studs. Nothing fancy, but still require soldering and polishing you name it. After my price sent to her, she started moaning that Cookson sell 16mm x 8mm piece of gold at that and that price... I was shocked too! Told her to buy this piece of gold and do earrings by herself. Why do you ask if you know better?

In a similar vein, try quoting for a diamond where the wholesale price being offered is higher than a customer can buy a similar stone for on Blue Nile...

Default In Mitigation.

Numerous, lets call us 'quasi jewellers', have begun to make jewellery as a hobby and some sell their pieces to fund their leisure occupation. Only a small number of those go on to make a living from it.

Cooksons have successfully tapped into this market to supply them and there is a precedent. For instance the late lamented Blundells welcomed professionals and amateurs alike and exercised endless patience by giving over the counter advice.

Other suppliers go to some lengths, unsuccessfully I might add, to verify that you are 'in the trade', or at least a student. Some make a point of stating that under their conditions you buy from them on a business to business basis and the distance selling regulations do not apply.

There will always be dubious customers who argue the toss about your prices in order to bargain them down. All you can do by way of reply is to say that these prices have been carefully calculated to keep your business viable, but that they have the alternative of taking up jewellery making for themselves. Dennis.

At the risk of inducing the ire of pros, when I'm asked to supply a chain which is ready made, I do so at cost.

I was questioned about why a quote for a one-off seaweed bangle was so high given the silver couldn't possibly cost that much. They didn't really get that it was the time and process they were paying for. I'm always glad not to have customers like that.

Quote Originally Posted by medusa View Post
    At the risk of inducing the ire of pros, when I'm asked to supply a chain which is ready made, I do so at cost.
    What it is charged to you at, or what it costs you to order it in? There's a time cost in all this still (and paperwork!).

Quote Originally Posted by ps_bond View Post
    What it is charged to you at, or what it costs you to order it in? There's a time cost in all this still (and paperwork!).
    I charged the cost of the chain and P&P. The time cost is minimal. I only do this for people who are buying one of my pendants or a set of tags though. If someone wanted me to source a chain on its own, I wouldn't.

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis View Post

Cooksons have successfully tapped into this market to supply them and there is a precedent. For instance the late lamented Blundells welcomed professionals and amateurs alike and exercised endless patience by giving over the counter advice.
    Dennis.
    Blundells is a blast from the past Dennis, they were our supplier of choice when I was a student and I used them for quite a few years after. They were always really friendly and I was shocked to find when thinking of going back to them recently that they were now gold dealers, what a shame.

I'm lucky not to have had my prices questioned as such YET! I have heard one or two at the OS say rather loudly on looking at the price list ' oh well I can't afford my favourite piece ' and I found myself justifying the pricing. I don't care anymore, we can't always afford lots of things we would like. This will get us back to the usual argument of everyone charging what a piece is worth and not underpricing and there that argument will trundle on.

Cooksons stock list has changed so much since I first started using them, I think they had a much wider range of tools and even settings for serious jewellers than they do now, they seem to be catering more and more for hobby/craft jewellers which is a shame. They still get my business because they are easy to order from and I can't be bothered phoning round but they are not always the best choice. Sorry Cookies

I've had customers ask how much it will cost to just buy the pendant part of a necklace from me, as they "know chains don't cost much and can get their own". I usually just knock a tenner off the price if it's silver, which tends to send them packing anyway!