Thread: Stone organisation

Default Stone organisation

I like to be organised and at the moment I am not. My semi precious cabs are in one segmented box and my semi precious faceted stones are in another, but I also have odd shapes for wire wrapping in another which is ok because I don't have many of those. How do others keep their stones, mine are in individual containers with say 4 mm in a small bag inside, 5 mm in another. Trouble is you can't quickly see what size you have.

I use these Pat, which come from Lynco Europe: http://www.lynco.co.uk/.

They are only about £4 a set, but they have even cheaper round clear boxes, which you could store in a case of your own. Unfortunately I can't find them on their web site, so you might have to phone them.

Regards, Dennis.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Lynco Small Parts Box.jpg  
    Last edited by Dennis; 06-02-2014 at 08:43 PM.

I do have one similar to that, I have cabs and faceted in separate boxes at the moment, but didnt know if anyone mixes cabs and faceted and what about sizes, do you just put them in with one of a similar colour. I only have semi-precious ones, and all sizes from 1mm to 8mm and not sure how to organize them.

I store mine in padded plastic boxes which are in trays, but I can't find them on the link to show you (http://www.boxdisplays.co.uk), I store by type of stone, e.g. citrine, amethyst, etc, and keep similar shapes next to each other in the tray and 'sort-of' keep in a rainbow of colours, e.g blues.....iolites, tanzanite, will be in the same tray,....but for instance tourmalines of all colours are kept in one tray, greens together (with similar shapes next to each other), pinks together, etc,etc,......so long as you know your system, the organised chaos seems somewhat less chaotic!!

It does seem a good idea to keep colours together, or at least in the same tray. I may go out and buy a few more plastic boxes. My daughter bought me one from London last time she ventured up there, it is a clear box with lots of little clear boxes inside, I keep that one for my faceted stones and put garnets, etc in the same box if they are faceted, but wondered if I should put my cabs in there too, it would save space but some of my cabs are quite big, and I have quite a lot of "one-offs", so only have one stone, Adventurine being one of them. Cant stop, shopping to do.