Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Silver on Brass

Default Silver on Brass

On the hunt for any info I can get about attaching silver to brass. What I am planning is to engrave a design into the brass and then inlay it by melting silver into the engraving. Any info on correct fluxes and other materials, plus advice on procedures would be much appreciated. Thanks.

S.M.

There's not a huge difference between the MPs of brass vs the MP of sterling silver - you might be better off either flowing solder in (something like Easyflo as it's a non-hallmarking situation) or going for mechanical inlay. Flux - can't offhand remember, Tenacity might be the one for that temperature bracket.

If you're doing hand engraving, bear in mind that melting an inlay in will fuzz up your line definition significantly. You'll also need to level the surface back too.

Personally, I'd look to tap in an inlay with pure silver.

If using silver solder, even borax will work, but you will need to over-fill slightly and sand back, so compromising your detail. As Peter has mentioned you can also inlay grooves with fine-silver wire. If not using solder, they need to be undercut, possibly with inverted cone burrs, or gravers.

As with all branches of jewellery making, your personal learning curve will involve tedious experiments and wasted materials. That's how it is, unless you have been taught at the bench. Welcome to the Forum. Dennis.

Thanks for the advice so far. All interesting stuff. Did make a test piece by flowing normal plumbing solder into a brass engraving. Came out ok but of course the solder won't really take much of a shine. Repeating the excercise with silver solder as suggested could well be a next step. Like the idea of tapping a silver wire into an engraving. Might be looking into that at some point whether the solder idea works or not.

S.M.

I would also say that the way Peter describes of inlaying fine silver wire will give you the best effect, a method used for centuries by the Japanese on their Tsuba decorations. As you have yet to post any photos I do not know at what level your skills are, but if you are skilled as an engraver, may I suggest you join this other forum; http://www.engraverscafe.com/ as you will find helpful members who can give you advice on what you wish to achieve using the inlay process.

James

Thanks again for info. Will check out that other forum and get some pics of my work up here later on. Wouldn't get to excited, I'm well aware I'm still pretty near the bottom of the engraving food chain but I'll bung some stuff up and let you have a gander.

S.M.

Have created a photo album on here of some of my stuff. Not all engravings but what I've done is there. My engraving background (such as it is) comes from the custom motorcycle scene so the style is fairly bold with a fair bit of metal on the move! Obviously will need to have a different approach for the inlay type of work but as someone has already mentioned, it's all about the learning curve. Am looking forward to the challenge.

http://www.cooksongold.com/forum/album.php?albumid=234

S.M.

Your work is amazing Mr Moose. I particularly like the owl.

Which part of Devon do you live, nice to have another from this part of the world here.

Amazing work Mr Moose!! Looking forwards to seeing your jewellery work!!