Thread: Non-cyanide silver electroforming

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Non-cyanide silver electroforming

Hi
    I have seen a few older posts on this subject but none seem to answer my questions:
    I'm experimenting with electroforming at the moment and i have had a few good results with copper. I'm now starting to look at silver electroforming.
    I see Cooksons sell a silver solution suitable for electroforming but on reading up on the data sheet over at your new boss's site (Heimerle + Meule) I see that it is cyanide based, which is not ideal. (incidentally, I am amused that people wouldn't countanance using cyanide but will happily use sulfide based patina solutions, despite hydrogen sulfide (300-350 ppm) and hydrogen cyanide (100-300 ppm) having almost identical LC50 values!)
    So my questions are:
    -Does Cooksons sell a non-cyanide silver electroplating solution? If not I'll try some of the specalist groups out there- SPA plating seem to have one.
    -Are the non-cyanide silver electroplating solutions suitable for electroforming? I've not been them mentioned in this context when reading up on the subject- only as plating solutions.
    -Can you use a fine silver sacrifical anode with the non-cyanide solutions to avoid depletion of the silver from the soution (which I believe is the case with cyanide solutions, but correct me if I am wrong) They often seem to recomment a stainless steel anode.

If I can't get no satisfaction I will try just silver plating my copper electroforms- which is probably the low hassel way of doing things!

Thanks for your help.

Matt
    Last edited by MMM Jewellery; 03-02-2014 at 03:49 PM.