Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Durston Press

Default Durston Press

Just seen this on fleabay. http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/-DURSTON-M...-/380830419143 - 8 days to go but £10 at the moment, buyer collect from Romford, Essex if anyone is interested.

The stand alone is worth lot. Shame the mill looks a bit knackered.

Yes but Romford is a long long long way from Exeter anyway. I wouldnt have a use for one anyway, but if someone lives close it may be worth a visit.

Quote Originally Posted by Nick martin View Post
    The stand alone is worth lot. Shame the mill looks a bit knackered.
    Why, what's up with it - too much corrosion on the rollers?

Quote Originally Posted by metalsmith View Post
    Why, what's up with it - too much corrosion on the rollers?
    On the plus side it is a geared one, and it has a stand which would save space and might be worth the money on its own.

On the negative side:
    Stands need securing firmly to the floor, or they come loose.
    It is pitted, corroded, and the rollers are not parallel. So the rollers will need replacing, but might be discontinued for this very old model.
    The adjustment and/or gears might have seized up, or be defective in some other way.

Inspect it before committing. Dennis.

Does anyone own one of the Cookson economy range rolling mills? If so is it worth it?

http://www.cooksongold.com/Jewellery...rcode-999-axwa

Any mill in decent condition is better than no mill at all. The only complaint I have read of this one and it is true of all multi-tools is that you really don't want to stop work to change the rollers too often.

Mills, draw benches and proper ring stretchers are all incredibly liberating. Dennis.

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis View Post
    On the plus side it is a geared one, and it has a stand which would save space and might be worth the money on its own.

On the negative side:
    Stands need securing firmly to the floor, or they come loose.
    It is pitted, corroded, and the rollers are not parallel. So the rollers will need replacing, but might be discontinued for this very old model.
    The adjustment and/or gears might have seized up, or be defective in some other way.

Inspect it before committing. Dennis.
    No worries .. it is a long, long way from me - I just need to steepen my learning curve markedly for when the time comes. I think it helps to look at some examples and find out what is right / wrong with it from knowledgeable good folk like yourselves, so thanks!

Dennis do you think it would cost much to refurb this rolling mill? Or do you think its life is over

Well Jon as it is a Durston, any replacement parts if still available, would almost certainly exceed the cost of a new Cookson economy one mentioned above.

You can see quite a lot of damage in the picture, and this will extend to the hidden parts as well. Even the stand might be undermined by rust. The risk is that you will buy it for £10 plus transport costs, and end up paying the council £20 to take it away.

I don't like the odds. Dennis.