Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Which assay office

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Which assay office

I have been making bits of jewellery as a hobby for a while and now I have decided to start selling some of it on Folksy. I an however now making a few bits over the 7.78g limit and therefore need to do the whole hallmarking thing. Does anyone have any suggestions on which of the 4 assay offices is best to uses if you are small trader/hobbyist? Although they all claim to have simple pricing schemes you get odd charges on some of their price sheets like for having things in individual bags. I have also heard people say they only use the laser engraving so there is no need for a punch to be cut but is this true / a good idea?

As I am in Kent the london goldsmiths hall would appear the most logical but then I am worried that is probably the busiest and so least interested in the little guy (well positively microscopic)

Any guidance would be much appreciated.

dear old Blighty - (in deepest Wiltshire)

I was at Birmingham and horrified by the results, communication, price and losing my things. Switched to London last year - and WOW, blown away. Brilliant service. Love it, wish I had gone before.

Any and All probs are sorted quickly, professionally and politely. Turn around over the recent festive period was only two days longer than out of season - so really a great place to be. Each office has it's merits (I am sure others can demonstrate that with Birmingham).

Choice will be yours. Others as you know are available.

Good luck and well done for being responsible too.

I agree. The London Assay office is highly professional and can't be faulted. When I turn up at the counter with only one piece I am treated with the same courtesy as the man with a case full. Dennis.

Yes agree with all the above, brilliant.

I agree. I've had a London mark for 30 years (with a long hiatus) When I came back four years ago my record was dusted off, information updated and I felt welcomed back. All my queries have been answered and the staff are incredibly helpful - SteveLAO is a wonderful resource on here.
    Author: Pearls A Practical Guide
    www.pearlsapractical.guide
    www.Pearlescence.co.uk

Wwell what can I say except thank you all for your lovely messages It's great news to hear that we're looking after you all! Binraker, you would be very welcome indeed to join us and although we have thousands of accounts we love the little guys! If you're in Kent why not come in and see us next time you're in London and I can show you around (and explain the price list!) Let me know when you're coming so that I'm in the building.

Yes I do I know that the assay office keep the mark hence having to send the pieces away to be tested and stamped with the hallmark and yes I was talking about the stamp as in the 'mark maker'. All I was asking Steve from the assay office was if I needed two separate ones for gold & silver but by the sound of it I don't. So thank you for answering the question... And like Pat I didn't realise you could actually have a stamp yourself to mark under weight bits with your mark. Thank you. Sarah

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The same stamp of mine has been used on gold, silver and platinum quite happily (and London look after it).

No I am more than happy to leave it to you!! I don't want that kind of responsibility . Just v pleased to know I only need to pay for the one as I can barely afford that let alone two... I will get onto that today I think. That said how many pieces can I have done without my own mark just in case the customer is desperate to have it done ASAP? Thank you so much, I have to concur that so far the London assay office has been so helpful. All a bit daunting for us diddly companies, want to get it right. Sarah

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I take it you're just registering or are about to? The punch takes around two weeks or so to make, but in that time the software for laser marking will already be active, so you can have items laser marked until the punch has been finished. We don't charge you any extra for the software creation for laser marking, and that is done as standard on registration.

We use our "own mark" - LAO for London assay office - for emergency use only, or if a member of the public comes in with an odd bit of jewellery they picked up abroad and want marked. We wouldn't expect them to register and have their own mark in this case. The whole point of the sponsor mark though is traceability so it's always best to have your own mark on your own pieces if you possibly can.