Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: circular saws

Default circular saws

There doesn't seem to be much information out there about circular saw blades for jewellery. I have ordered ring sized tubes as I wish to make rings with no seams. They're fairly thick to cut and I know Argex cut them with a circular saw. I'm wondering about the pros and cons of this.

The Proxxon ones don't have much capacity, while the fullsize ones have too coarse teeth - I can't seem to find anything in between. An abrasive-disc chopsaw isn't ideally suited to metals that gall, such as silver. I'd probably look at getting fine enough blades for a metal cutting bandsaw, a modelling power hacksaw or one of Lee's powered saws.

Or you could use a tube cutter

Thanks Peter. I may just give Argex a ring and ask what they use.

Could you use a circular blade that fits on the flexshaft with a tube cutting jig. Ive thought about that it the past but, to be honest, the circular blade scares the bejesus out of me and the thought of it binding on the jig is too scary. I can't even seem to cut small tubes flush with my tube cutting thingy.
    Didi

My circular blades are very fine, but terrifying, and I really don't think I'd want to use one without an arbour.

I've cut ring size tube with a plumber's cutter, and also used one to make the initial cut which I've then finished off by hand. Both needed a bit of smoothing off on the inner edge, but no more than that.

The only other thought that springs to mind is to use a slitting saw with a lathe - they're available in far more useful variants.

I like the idea of a plumbers cutter to start it off. Can anyone recommend a good one?

Hi,

An oscillating multi tool ( they range in price from approx £20 jtf whole sale now open to public aldi/lidl etc, to £3/4 hundred for professional units fein/Bosch etc) will easily and safely cut metal with zero effort (the blade oscillates and does NOT spin or revolve), the blades can be purchased periodically from aldi/lidl at very competitive prices, alternatively google saxtons who are very good on price and service.

Jazzy

I use this one Carole. The long 'arm' does need bracing with a fingertip as you start it off so it doesn't move along the tube, but it's the best I've used out of a fairly extensive collection!

http://www.transtools.co.uk/hand-too...utter-3mm-42mm

I like that you can change the wheel when it dulls - though they last a surprisingly long time - and I cut a lot of tube!

One problem with powered tools is that they generate a lot of heat and the tube becomes far too hot to hold. So I would favour the tube cutter too, but you need to hold the tube in some kind of soft vice, or a vice with a groove. Dennis