Thread: AntiClastic Raising

Default AntiClastic Raising

Hello,

I need some advise on anti clastic raising and the best tools to use. I want to make an anti clastic ring, and I am wondering what hammer is best for this? I have a plastic sinusoidal stake, what hammer would you recommend for using with this? Any advise at all on this would be great! Thanks!

I use this type of hammer; http://www.cooksongold.com/Jewellery...prcode-999-89V and I file the hammer heads to a suitable shape.
    Or if money is no object these look nice hammers; http://www.cooksongold.com/Jewellery...rcode-999-7181
    Also if making ring size anticlastics try finish planishing by using a hammer on a steel sinusoidal stake, I make my own by filing grooves in steel rods.

James

I have posted this before but it shows my method and some of my home shaped hammers.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	38- Hammers and tools.jpg 
Views:	42 
Size:	80.8 KB 
ID:	5696

I meant to add to my last posting that if your are going into metalworking you can never have too many hammers. This photo shows most of my hammers and mallets collection.

James

Name:	114 Hammers & mallets.jpg 
Views:	38 
Size:	60.5 KB 
ID:	5697

I've got hammer envy!!!!!!

Thanks James, your hammer collection looks amazing! I am new to the anti clastic raising technique, I have made a beautiful silver cuff bangle at a workshop, and now trying it in my own studio! However just doesnt seem to be happening quite as well as the first time! I am wondering if a steel sinusoidal stake is better than the plastic types? I have been experimenting with copper, and the anticlastic curve I am creating just seems to be very weak. I am also wondering if the piece of metal I am using is not wide enough for the groove in the stake? Any tips and advise welcome! Thanks! Karolina

Quote Originally Posted by Goldsmith View Post
    I meant to add to my last posting that if your are going into metalworking you can never have too many hammers. This photo shows most of my hammers and mallets collection.

James

Name:	114 Hammers & mallets.jpg 
Views:	38 
Size:	60.5 KB 
ID:	5697

Karolina, I am a bit stuck in my ways as to techniques of shaping metals. I have been in the trade for 53 years and the terms anticlastic and synclastic were never heard of in my days. It was just raising, shaping and planishing. If I am using the (delron) or plastic type of stakes I use a mallet rather than a hammer. I made and shaped my own wooden mallets from old hardwood chair legs. When using hammers I prefer to use steel or brass stakes.

If you feel you could file grooves in steel rods, like the one shown in my previous photo, or just want to add some steel rods to your tool collection (useful for many jobs, such as for winding jump rings) I get my silver steel rods from here;
    https://ekpsupplies.com/materials-me...l/cat_141.html

These are the delron stakes I have.

James

Name:	86a Pair of anticlastic stakes.jpg 
Views:	19 
Size:	26.1 KB 
ID:	5698

Hi Karolina,
    Peter, (PSBond) has done a tutorial on this, as he sells (or used to sell) the stakes. Here http://www.cooksongold.com/forum/sho...053&highlight= you might give that a go and see if it helps ...?
    Jules