Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Which assay office

Default Which assay office

I have been making bits of jewellery as a hobby for a while and now I have decided to start selling some of it on Folksy. I an however now making a few bits over the 7.78g limit and therefore need to do the whole hallmarking thing. Does anyone have any suggestions on which of the 4 assay offices is best to uses if you are small trader/hobbyist? Although they all claim to have simple pricing schemes you get odd charges on some of their price sheets like for having things in individual bags. I have also heard people say they only use the laser engraving so there is no need for a punch to be cut but is this true / a good idea?

As I am in Kent the london goldsmiths hall would appear the most logical but then I am worried that is probably the busiest and so least interested in the little guy (well positively microscopic)

Any guidance would be much appreciated.

dear old Blighty - (in deepest Wiltshire)

I was at Birmingham and horrified by the results, communication, price and losing my things. Switched to London last year - and WOW, blown away. Brilliant service. Love it, wish I had gone before.

Any and All probs are sorted quickly, professionally and politely. Turn around over the recent festive period was only two days longer than out of season - so really a great place to be. Each office has it's merits (I am sure others can demonstrate that with Birmingham).

Choice will be yours. Others as you know are available.

Good luck and well done for being responsible too.

I agree. The London Assay office is highly professional and can't be faulted. When I turn up at the counter with only one piece I am treated with the same courtesy as the man with a case full. Dennis.

Yes agree with all the above, brilliant.

I agree. I've had a London mark for 30 years (with a long hiatus) When I came back four years ago my record was dusted off, information updated and I felt welcomed back. All my queries have been answered and the staff are incredibly helpful - SteveLAO is a wonderful resource on here.
    Author: Pearls A Practical Guide
    www.pearlsapractical.guide
    www.Pearlescence.co.uk

Wwell what can I say except thank you all for your lovely messages It's great news to hear that we're looking after you all! Binraker, you would be very welcome indeed to join us and although we have thousands of accounts we love the little guys! If you're in Kent why not come in and see us next time you're in London and I can show you around (and explain the price list!) Let me know when you're coming so that I'm in the building.

Steve, if you look at this again, could you please consider this question, originally posted today in the thread about the lentil bead necklace?

'If you were to fill a silver object to add weight, would you fall foul of the hallmarking regulations?' Dennis.

if the item before filling doesn't come up to the weight required for marking, for example if you had a hollow silver ball weighing 2g and you filled it with acrylic to make it up to 8g, then you won't need to have it marked.
    If the hollow silver ball weighed 8g to begin with before filling, and then you chose to fill it then you would need to have it hallmarked and the word "filled" would follow the hallmark.

Remember with necklaces though, if the pendant is designed not to be removed from the chain then for hallmarking purposes the chain and the pendant will be treated as one item so the combined weights of chain and pendant will be considered. So if your chain weighs 7g and the non removable bead weighs 1g then you will need it hallmarked. If you choose to fill the bead, then you will get "filled" marked as well as the hallmark.

Thanks for that.

Looks like London is the one to go for then. Best get form filling.

Steve, Thanks for the offer, I don't get up to town that often but I will certainly look at coming along one day and having a natter and nose around.

Well I have filled in the on-line form and forked over the cash.

Now we wait...