Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Which assay office

I am just registering... It is a set of (quite large) rings in gold and silver, so do you think the laser would be ok for that? Sorry fact finding to give timings to the customer. Thank you for being so patient with me! The other practise rings (much smaller) can probably wait until the punch/stamp is made.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

laser would be absolutely fine....

Fab, will go and log on to the laptop and get that sorted. Presume I can chose the laser option when I fill in the form to send with the pieces? Many thanks again.

Correct. When you send your items in you will need to fill out the form giving us instruction and listing details of the contents of the packet. this is called a hallnote. There is a section at the bottom for special instructions and you need to say that you want the items laser marked. There are two varieties of laser mark...2D which is just an outline mark, and 3D which looks more like a traditional struck mark. I would recommend 3D for rings (they both cost the same BTW!), and if you ask for "3D deep" they will cut the mark deeper for you, which is best for rings as they do take more wear than, for example, pendants or earrings.

BTW, as part of your registration you will also be offered a tour of the assay office, so you'll get a really good idea of what's involved, meet the people who will be marking your items, and ask as many questions as you like!

Quote Originally Posted by Oberon View Post
    I am just registering... It is a set of (quite large) rings in gold and silver, so do you think the laser would be ok for that? Sorry fact finding to give timings to the customer. Thank you for being so patient with me! The other practise rings (much smaller) can probably wait until the punch/stamp is made.

That's particularly useful, thank you Steve - I have in the past asked for laser marking (with "please laser" written on pieces too) without knowing to ask for 3D, than almost erased the mark in final polishing... Didn't know about 3D deep, though.

Remember these days most sampling is non destructive, so you can send in items polished and finished, and when the items are marked by laser, you won't need to give it a final polish when you get it back. Laser marks aren't as deep as a struck mark but if you ask for "deep" when you send in the note they will cut it deeper for you than a standard laser mark.

Steve, sure you have answered this elsewhere, but anyhoo. If one is registered with assay office A and wants to move to Assay office B, do they need to buy new punches for their sponsor marks or can they just be transfered over?

Also, how deep is a deep 3D laser mark? Some of the stuff I do is repro and I do not want people removing my mark so they can sell it as old but at the same time struck marks are damaging about 40% of my stuff.

If you are registered with assay office "A" and want to transfer to assay office "B", you can transfer your "A" sponsor mark to "B" only IF your mark has not already been registered at "B". The sponsor mark is unique only when it forms part of the hallmark which includes the assay office mark, and as all 4 offices are totally independent of each other you may find when transferring that "your" sponsor's mark is already registered with someone else at a different office.
    So to cut a long waffly answer short yes you can transfer it so long as it's not already registered with the office to wish to transfer to.

If you were to run your finger nail over a 3D deep mark, you will feel the mark, which you can't really do very well with a standard laser mark. Standard 3D is about 0.1mm deep. The "deep" mark is as deep as you want it to be, only limited by the thickness of the item being marked!!
    Remember that the date letter is now optional, and most people who do repro or second hand items choose not to have the date letter on it. There would then be no reason to take the mark off.....which if course is illegal anyway!!

Quote Originally Posted by SteveLAO View Post
    Correct. When you send your items in you will need to fill out the form giving us instruction and listing details of the contents of the packet. this is called a hallnote. There is a section at the bottom for special instructions and you need to say that you want the items laser marked. There are two varieties of laser mark...2D which is just an outline mark, and 3D which looks more like a traditional struck mark. I would recommend 3D for rings (they both cost the same BTW!), and if you ask for "3D deep" they will cut the mark deeper for you, which is best for rings as they do take more wear than, for example, pendants or earrings.
    Hi again, I have just registered and it has now told me it can take up to five weeks for the registration to complete... In a bit of a panic as I need to get at least two pieces hallmarked ASAP... Help!

Sarah B-H